In your opinion, do you think a person can attach themselves to an item after they have died?

Here's why I'm asking: Right after DH and I got married, I was driving down the road, and saw a sign for an estate sale. I stopped, and found a really cute little blue wooden recipe box. I saw it had something in it,but thought it was junk. So, when I got it home that night, and began looking, I realized it was the personal recipes of the lady who had just passed. Now, if that was my Grandma's recipes, most hand-written,with her personal notes, I'd want it back. So, I took it back the next day,and they were gone. I kept the box, and have hoped the lady knows someone who really cares for it has kept it over 20 years. And, ever since then, things have happened, but not so much as they have the last few months. My son, who has his own paranormal investigations group came and did some EVP's. He asked a question about the box, and on the playback, we heard "that's me." I think she was saying "mine." And, the activity is escalating. I was cooking some noodles a couple weeks ago, brand new bag, I openend the top, leaned it against the canisters on the cabinet. I turned my back, and heard a noise, and it was on the floor. It was as if someone had picked it up and dropped it, no way could it have fell by itself,the way I had leaned it. The other night, DH (who is a HUGE skeptic) was asleep, I was watching tv, he rolled over and asked who was walking down the hall to our room. I told him no one, he said he heard squeaky shoes in the hall. Right after he said that I heard a voice say "Mendy." I asked him what he wanted, he said he didn't call me. I heard it 3 more times through the night. I guess she has heard him call me by name. Our son was taking a shower, and he said he heard someone in the kitchen. No one else was home, I was at work. He came up to the store and refused to come home till I got off. He said when he walked into the kitchen cabinet doors were open,and he heard an old lady laughing. He was spooked, and it takes a lot to spook him. So, can I get some opinions from you ladies, please. My son who has the paranormal group wants me to get a group from Houston that has more advanced equipment to come investigate. What's your take on it?

cbk_mom3

Asked by cbk_mom3 at 7:10 PM on Feb. 5, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Spirits can indeed be very possessive of the things they leave behind and can attach to these items. They will follow them from place to place because of the attachment. The spirit is trying to take over the kitchen, because that was HER domain when she was alive. She needs to be reminded that the house and the kitchen are YOURS, but that you appreciate and honor her legacy. She is trying to help, to do things that she did before and, as a non-corporeal being, she is just making a mess! It's time for her to cross over to her reward. You need to let her know that it's okay to do that. That everything will be okay here.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 1:25 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• That is definitely interesting. I like the suggestion about setting the box on the steps of it's old home and see what happens in your home. Kind of odd that things are starting to get really active now after 20 years.

Our previous house had a "guest" when we moved in and said "guest" attached itself to us and moved with us. *sigh* He (we call him George) keeps things interesting because he's a prankster.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 9:21 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Wow. I don't really have an opinion or anything to add, but that is some crazy stuff!! I'm always fascinated by hearing about peoples' experiences like that.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 7:14 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Yes, of course. If their connection to that item was strong while in life it makes sense that it would continue to be after death.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:17 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Once people died their soul dies as well. I believe demons can cling to things. thats just me
    Patience909

Answer by Patience909 at 7:20 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I really couldn't say. I too am a skeptic. I have had no paranormal activity like that happen to me. I will admit though, that there's too many similiar stories for them not to have some credibility. Good luck!
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 8:37 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• When my great uncle died, people started seeing strange lights float through the house at odd times. They'd go from place to place where he'd normally be - his bed, the kitchen table, his favorite chair. For months, multiple people saw them, but NOBODY would admit it to anyone, because they all assumed everyone else would think they were losing it. Eventually, one of my cousins finally admitted it, and they all compared notes. I don't know if those lights were my uncle, a weird coincidence, or mass hysteria, but I'm sure we don't know enough to definitively say yes or no to any of the possibilities.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:59 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• NO. Once you're dead that's it. Now someone living may associate a certain item with someone who has passed but it is they themselves that give that item meaning.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 9:48 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Absolutely.
    When my Grandma passed this November,i was given an amethyst ring of hers. I wore it a few days and started having nighmares and she kept coming around me. A few days after she passed,I felt her come up behind me and sigh loudly in my ear. I stopped wearing it,said a prayer of protection,and put it away. Ever since then,she's left me alone and no nightmares

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:15 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• If it is really happening than awesome! I never had an experience, I am a skeptic myself.
    I'd actually like to see it myself.
    idaspida

Answer by idaspida at 7:15 PM on Feb. 5, 2011