What are some gift ideas for the big sister on the day baby sister arrives?

I don't really know what to get her and I want to make her feel special. And should I make it from little sister? Also should I get a few little "somethings" for when people come to visit & baby sister's getting all these gifts but not big sister?

MamaLisa1976

Asked by MamaLisa1976 at 7:29 PM on Feb. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• I think a lil gift (nothing crazy) sounds nice. I know it's going to be a big change for her so just when you do get time with her make sure you give her lots of hugs and kisses! Congrats too btw!
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 8:10 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Anon: I don't know if you were addressing that at me or the Op but honestly there is a big difference in birthdays and life changing evens such as the birth of a sibling. That is a huge adjustment for the other child/ren. We wanted them to 'start out on the right foot' so to speak. Babies are time consuming and no matter how hard you try there isn't going to be the same amount of time alone with your first. Babies need help with every thing. the older sibling is no longer your only child they are now an older sibling. They are taking on a whole new role. Why not celebrate that?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:44 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• If she's pretty young, a babydoll and accessories might be nice. Also, if she's pretty young it might be good if Grandma or a friend could devote some special time to her...maybe take her for ice cream or a treat in the cafeteria. If she's going to be spending a lot of time at the hospital small surprises would probably be good. You might also mention it to close family or friends who might be bringing something for the baby so they don't forget to include her.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 7:40 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• We had a Big Brother Party on the going home day of DD. He got a gift from us and his grandparents and we had a Big Brother Cake. He STILL talks about his big brother party. In the hospital The new baby, DD, gave him some match box cars and he gave her a blanket. It was just a little thing but it made a big impact. AS far as what we gave him at his big brother party, he got a board game form us and car track from his grandparents and play dough form his other grandparents. We just wanted there to be a all about him day since every thing had been all about the baby int he hospital and would continue to be all about the baby for a while. It was his shinning moment.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:38 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I'd have a shirt made or purchase one (if you can find one) that says, "I'm a big sister". I got a shirt and pin like that when my brother was born and still have 22 years later. It's always been special to me and even though I was only 4, I can still remember when I received it. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 7:54 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Do you think she could handle a camera? I don't know if this is too much, but every kid I know is fascinated with mommy's camera, and this way she can "help" to photograph the new arrival.. or anything else she is interested in.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 9:07 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• one how old is she . one great ideas is toys they can both play with ones that the big sis can have fun with on her own but can also be a bonding experience for the both of them as baby sis get older
    blinkys11

Answer by blinkys11 at 7:39 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• She'll be 3 in May. Yeah I need something both can play with... I sanitized & put away some of her "little" baby toys she wasn't so interested in anymore a while ago in prep for little sis, and I got it back out this week and she was like "WOW!! What's THIS?!?" & dirtied 'em all up again. :D It was to be expected, I guess.
    MamaLisa1976

Comment by MamaLisa1976 (original poster) at 7:41 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• If you're going to get something, I would make sure it's something that she can do on her own with minimal help... with our oldest, we bought him some tracks and trains to keep him busy and I spent the next month fixing train tracks with a newborn hanging off my boob! LOL! When we had our third, we bought each older child a movie... that was much better, since it gave them something new that I could do with them while sitting on the the couch nursing the baby.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:13 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Just to add- I didn't buy anything extra for when people brought gifts for the baby. Part of having a sibling is realizing that it's not going to be all about you anymore... sometimes sibling is going to get the gifts, such is life! I did let the older kids help open the baby gifts, show them to baby, hold the clothes up to baby, etc. They were involved, but I felt like if they got a gift whenever a sibling got a gift I would be setting up a standard that is impossible to maintain. Actually 'no gifts for anyone but the b-day child' is a rule at our house (that my ILs keep breaking- what's worse is they always bring something extra for the girls but never for the boy- it makes me so mad!)
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:15 PM on Feb. 5, 2011