why didnt people want to hear about the realities of slavery

why didnt people want to hear about the realities of slavery? My daughter's homework?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 7:47 PM on Feb. 5, 2011 in

• because sadly people don't want to hear about how bad humans can be instead they want to focus on all the good people do.
    Justins_mommy05

Answer by Justins_mommy05 at 7:48 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Because it would make them have to take a deeper look into the moral fiber of people, as a whole, and in turn, into themselves. Slavery wasn't just about whether it was right or wrong. Its ties ran into the very foundation of people, their religions and the politics. And we all know the tumultuous fights those two topics bring along with them.
    zava_t

Answer by zava_t at 7:51 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Someone just posted a question the other day...

"Do you think being a slave was really that bad?" Are you f*ing kidding me?

I think it's called having shit for brains.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 7:52 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• My daughter came home in September and told me that 9/11 was inappropriate. She wanted me to make the school show her a less violent version because she found it distasteful.

People like to live in their comfort zones.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 7:55 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Reality is one thing a lot of people can't handle.
    Anonymous

• I went with Justin because that is close to what a 3rd grader would say. Zava is what I would write. But the rest of your guys were still awesome!
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 8:03 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Honestly, I think it's just because people didn't want to accept the fact (or own up to the fact) that we were doing those things to innocent people. Whether they were for or against slavery it just wasn't something you talked about, because it left a bad taste in everyone's mouth. I think that it's just basically one of those taboo subjects. Like Cancer, rape, abuse .. etc. People don't talk about what makes them uncomfortable or what makes them have to own up to what they've done.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 8:15 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I think people don't like to feel emotions about things they can't do anything about. Slavery in our country is a part of history and it's important to learn from it. If they don't teach it at school, I tell my kids about thing things their teachers leave out. I don't want them to think that treating people like less than themselves is ever acceptable. There are scary and bad things that we encounter in life and things that have been overcome through history. Ignoring them doesn't help us learn about it, it only helps ensure that it will happen again (not necessarily slavery, but many events through history). JMO.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:31 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I agree with a lot of what has been said but I think it's mostly just old news. Like beating a dead horse. I suppose it's good for kids in school but in the real world people know it will just start crap
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:09 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I don't personally want to hear about it over and over. I had nothing to do with it, I don't owe anyone anything for slavery. It is fine to be sad for the people it happened to but, I don't know a single person that was a slave. Like a PP said it is beating a dead horse. And OP is this all you ever think about? The wrongs that black people were dealt?
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:23 PM on Feb. 5, 2011