Have you ever felt yourself slide into depression?

What did you do about it? I feel like I'm too far gone to care about 99% of everything my life. My kids are the only thing that keeps me going......has this happened to anyone else? What was the situation?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:03 PM on Feb. 5, 2011 in Health

• I've had lots of situations that caused my slide and I am also "not right" to start with.  I've tried Dr. prescribed drugs, a street Dr.s drugs, alcohol, counseling.  Nothing worked for me.  Now, I give myself 48 hours.  I whine, I mope, I cry.  And then whatever is bothering me, I get over it. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 8:06 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Yes. It's best to force yourself to eat nutritously, get fresh air and sunshine, meditate or pray, excercise by taking walks outside, spend time with positive people, minimize your time with negative people, do something for someone else, do something for yourself, and keep on keeping on...you will be okay...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 8:06 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I start to slip when I feel like I have noting going on in my life. I don't have to be busy but I need to have something to do. So I try to schedule something to do even if it is to take my DD to the park for 30 min. If I force myself to do something outside the house I actually start to feel better. I wish you luck and hope that you feel better soon.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:07 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I have never really understood how you can tell if your depressed or not. I have been in a funk ( that is what I call it).

Answer by louise2 at 8:13 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• When all the above failed, I sought medical intervention. Now I am 100% better. I hit my bottom over the summer. I have been battling depression on and off since 1997.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 8:19 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Yes, I am there now. My family has been without income for a year and a half now. We are in a miserable/unhealthy living situation, but unable to get out of it because we can barely pay our monthly bills and have had to borrow from friends and family. It is the worst feeling imaginable, so I cope by eating healthier than I used to and trying to get time out for "girl talk" at least once a week. I try to fit in exercise too, but I'll admit it's hard. The best advice I can give is to take good care of yourself and if you feel like you just keep getting worse, see a professional. There is NO shame in getting help because your kids need their Mommy to be happy and healthy!
    Anonymous

• I've dealt with depression for awhile now. It's really tough when you have the bad times. I started exercising regularly, and that has REALLY helped. I also do my best to get out of the house, even though it's SO hard to get the energy to do it. Even if it's just walking around the mall to let my son burn off some energy, it helps to be around other people. You can also try talking to a counselor. That really can be one of the best things. Diet and exercise are currently really working for me, not to mention the changes in my body.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 8:50 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I have multiple times. Once, it was bad. Sometimes, it only makes everything seem overwhelming and pointless for a few weeks or months. It has never affected my work before, but now that my work is all day long, I can tell that having less energy, patience, and cheer is hard on the kids. I went to talk to my pastor. They know places (even free) and listen. And they'll help anyone. Most counties have a # too.

That said, drugs don't work for me. Talk DOES. Just talking to someone made me feel myself again for weeks! You may need to try different drugs, talk, activities to see what helps you.

When it's minor, exercise, healthy living, positives, etc help me. But there is a point for us all where we can't get ourselves out and need drugs, help and/or time before we can "snap out of it".

The important thing is, please get help, and do it now while you still can and want to! Take care. I'll say a prayer for you all to heal.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 8:52 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I have trouble this time of year (seasonal) and all this snow is not helping when you cant even get out for a walk. Eating well and excercise is the best thing. I think that so many of us rely on a quick fix (drugs) it is scary. Having said that there are some that are clinically depressed and need meds and therapy. If you are not happy with things in your life change them. Become more involved in your church, your community make time for yourself do something you enjoy.
    jwpmom

Answer by jwpmom at 9:44 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Yea. It bites. I don't know that I did anything about it, other than agree to be on meds that made it unsafe to breastfeed my preemie. I don't think I really turned around until he came home.

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) is great for 'teaching' yourself to focus on the positive aspects of your life.
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 10:39 PM on Feb. 5, 2011