Artificial Sweeteners

I am trying to drink more water and less Diet (or any kind) Sodas and less tea with sweetener. I used to use Sweet N Low b/c it's been around so long without being taken off market fot health reasons. I thought about using Splenda b/c it's so popular now but I have heard bad health reviews. I bought Truvia last time at grocery store b/c it seems to be made from all natural ingredients that may not be unhealthy. I use artificial sweeteners in my iced tea, hot coffe, iced coffee, and when I drink diet sodas....which do you think is healthiest or are there none? What other ways are there to sweetenen theese things to help lose weight but without long term health effects?

huntin_mama

Asked by huntin_mama at 8:19 PM on Feb. 5, 2011 in Health

• I stick with real sugar or stevia (which is actually an herb!)
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 8:20 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Stevia is the best option as far as non-sugar sweeteners go, but it does have a slightly different taste that may take getting used to. (I love it in my coffee but hate it in tea!) I used to use Splenda but I noticed it it gave me headaches and my throat would feel scratchy for a while after the fact. The other ones (saccharin, aspartame, etc) have such widely documented side effects that I just can't bring myself to use then anymore. I guess it's the thought of things turning to gasses inside my body that finally got me freaked out enough to stop! Haha. :) So I stick with Stevia or small amounts of raw sugar.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 8:33 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Stevia is best besides sugar. Truvia, Stevia in the Raw, Pure Via and other companies that use stevia are all fine they are from a plant (herb as said before) Sugar is still highly processed and gives you all the calories. Drinks like Vitamin Water Zero uses Pure Via and Sobe Life Water Zero Calorie uses the Truvia. Read "The Belly Fat Cure" by Jorge Cruz!!! Eye opener on the sugar and artificial sweeteners. it also talks about all the sugar that is in our foods! Like Mac and Cheese has 12g of sugar per serving!!!
    whitefamily

Answer by whitefamily at 8:28 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Real sugar or honey. Nothing "artificial" is good.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 8:31 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I think this truvia is that same as stevia.
    huntin_mama

Comment by huntin_mama (original poster) at 8:32 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Splenda is the only sweetner that hasnt caused rats in studies to have health problems... so far. I think that is only because its new so they havent done enough studies. I use real sugar in everything unless im out at a restaurant and drinking something cold.. Then I use splenda.. but that's like.. once a month. I just try to stick to real sugar if anything.
    Kayere

Answer by Kayere at 8:45 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I use sun crystals which is a mix of stevia and raw sugar. Stevia is one of the few sugar substitutes that are still healthy.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 9:11 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I despise every artificial sweetener I've tried. I drink my coffee black now. I drink it iced, as I find it less bitter. If I drank more tea, I'd probably go for a flavored herbal tea.

On the occasion I want to 'treat' myself with a sweetener, I'll use maple syrup (the real stuff), real sugar or chocolate syrup:)
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 10:35 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• did you know that any diet drinks have 0 calories? Look at the cans and you will see. Its the calories that you need to be watching out for. and limit yourselt to no more than 2 a day. any types of sweetners will not really help with losing weight. Exercising will help maintain the balance of losing weight at slow pace, if you go that route.
    brieri

Answer by brieri at 3:05 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Stevia is the only safe, calorie-free sweetener

Answer by rkoloms at 6:05 AM on Feb. 6, 2011