What is WRONG with people?

I'm sorry, but this is a total rant over something that I keep thinking about.

Now that I've become a mother I've been exposed to the way other parents are with their children in ways that I hadn't previously been aware of. And I'm appalled! Now, there are definitely some parents who obviously parent their children the right way. And that's awesome! But I keep thinking back to this mom at the mall.

We were waiting our turn for one of those little carousels (the ones that hold 3 kids) And a lady walked up, put a dollar in for the ride, and put her son on. This other lady watches her daughter jump up on it and literally shove this other kid off onto the ground, while the ride was moving. Luckily he didn't get hurt, but he could have potentially gotten seriously injured. As someone who watched a child DIE once from falling underneath one (something I've remembered for the last 21 years since it happened, I was 5) I could not believe this. The mother of the daughter WATCHED her daughter do this and said absolutely nothing. The mom of the little boy ran to her son and just looked at the other mom, obviously upset, but didn't say anything. They waited for another turn, after she had just paid for her son to get knocked off the ride. The little girl's brother even commented on how his sister was being so mean, but the mom didn't even apologize. I almost bitched the other mom out myself. If she had pushed my son off, she'd have heard it from me.

My question is...has anyone else witnessed parents allowing this sort of behavior? Is it as common as it's starting to seem to me?

I've kept my mouth shut so far, but I'm the type of person who stands up when they witness someone mistreating someone else, and I have a feeling it won't be long before I end up telling someone off. The reason I haven't yet is because of the children that are around, but I've just about seen enough and if someone allows their child to hurt mine, I'm gonna go off. Ugh. What is wrong with some people?

This is just one instance of many that I've witnessed.

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 8:20 PM on Feb. 5, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I have definitely been a witness to some meanness going on that parents aren't stopping.  I am not saying that my way is the right way, just saying how I raise my own children, they would be in some serious crap if one of them acted like that. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 8:24 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I have no problem whatsoever telling a child, "If you act that way at home, that's your business. But around my child you will behave like a human being!" I usually say it loud enough for the parent to hear, if they at around at all. I've had parents give me dirty looks at the worst, but most of them usually decide to discipline their child or at least take them away from the situation. Some parents don't give a rat's patootie how their children act, and it infuriates me. If someone's safety is involved, you can BET I'm gonna open my mouth and say something!
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 8:40 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I totally agree! But,I'm a bitch and I'm proud of it! U have to be so people don't take advantage of u or your child. I would have said something!! This woman got away with that incident and now she will do it again and again until somebody tells her off!! She needs to be put in her place. She and her kid r equal with others! She seems to think she is better then everybody else! U see this is how it is,we have a child,we r like lions protecting our young,we will do anything to protect them! Sorry,a little ranting there. Moms like that just make me mad!!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 8:38 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I have never witnessed anything like this. The most I have seen is parents not paying attention to their kids at Chuckie Cheese and their kids steal my kids tokens. You never know which parents belong to which kids.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 8:22 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Well, just last weekend, we were at Chuck E. Cheese and I was up in the tubing with my daughter. These kids come barreling at us and actually tried to climb right over us. I don't care how old they are, it's not acceptable. I just said "No climbing over us, thank you!" Good grief, we went down the tube slide with my daughter on my lap and dh said it looked as though I was sitting on the boys lap. Then another time we were at the little play area in the mall and this little girl tried to push my daughter out of the way, TWICE, all while he mother sat there blankly.......again, I had to say something to the child. I just said "One at a time." I shouldn't have to say anything. 1. Parents should be paying attention and 2. They should have taught their children better manners.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 8:43 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• AMEN!  What happened to "please" and "thankyou" and yes and no sir and maam!  And people have told me a lot that I am too old fashioned because my children have to speak that way.  BS!  If my 5 or 3 year old accidently step on your toe, they say sorry and excuse me.  MAY I please have a drink?  If I had forgotten to say those things, my butt would have been spanked.  Now children are running over other children who are trying to play!  Wow. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 8:48 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• All I have to say is don't bring your naughty kids around me because I will say something. And if you come to me in the wrong I will let you know too.
    skitNbearsmom

Answer by skitNbearsmom at 8:28 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I think it's apart of learning social behaviors.  If the parents aren't saying or doing anything to stop the behavior, then the kids don't actually know that it's wrong.  In situations like the one you mentioned, I blame the parents totally. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 8:31 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• My friends daughter, she bites one of my kids literally every time she comes over.  She was coming over about 3 to 4 times a week.  I eventually had to tell the mama that she couldn't come over anymore.  She bit my 3 year old daughter (the other little one is 3 also) and the mama just kept saying "no".  The little girl wouldn't let up and the mama just sat there!  Just as I was reaching down to pry her off, my daughter slapped her in the back of her head.  The mama got mad at me for not disciplining my own child but you know what, I don't feel like my child was in the wrong.  She had a toy, the other child wanted it.  When in that situation I make my own children give their friends their toys because they are their guests and should be treated as such.  She told her daughter no she couldn't have the toy. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 8:39 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I used to belong to a group that had a 12 year old kid (daughter of one of the members) who made everyone ill to their stomach. Her behavior was such a pain.
    one day she was trying to yank the hat off of someone and they kept telling her no. Then they got more and more stern about it, telling her not to touch them. She'd just laugh and say she could if she wanted to.

the person with the hat asked the parents to do something with their daughter, and they just ignored it. She was acutally hurting this person, and they made it clear to her.
    Finally the person with the hat told her to back off or they were going to smack her.
    Parents didn't step in until they saw the hand raise up in her direction.
    After that they kept a eye on this kid.

I personally think there are limits on what you need to let any kid get away with, your kid or not.
    your letter was over the line of things to just ignore in my opinion.
    Anonymous