My almost 5 month old hates tummy time. I told the doctor this last week and he said that she has to spend time on her tummy.

I will put her on tummy time and she will last 2 min max. and she is scremaing her head off. Is this normal? We have been working on it for about a month now and she still does not tolerate it. Any suggestions?

indysownlilbit

Asked by indysownlilbit at 8:32 PM on Feb. 5, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you tried putting toys in front of her? Or sitting down and playing with her on the floor too? I know I had problems with it because my son was premature and had problems keeping food down when he was that age. Being on his tummy made him puke every time.
    Kayere

Answer by Kayere at 8:34 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• yes i have tried toys and in her face . its like there is something uncomfortable about it to her. When i told the doc, he literally said"too bad, she is 4 months old now, she has no choice". she holds her head up fine and all so i know that is not discomforting to her.
    indysownlilbit

Comment by indysownlilbit (original poster) at 8:37 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I think to some degree that's normal. DS didn't much like it, even as a stomach sleeper! Getting on YOUR belly, too, can help. I agree toys can help, too. Just do it as long as she'll tolerate for now, and do it frequently. After she's fully woken from her nap is best, too, for her mood. With time, she'll be able to go longer. =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 8:39 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• It is important for strengthening her back and neck muscles, and it will help her learn to roll over and crawl. The pressure on her tummy might be bugging her, and she can't see well! It takes WORK to see anything, since her head is so heavy, and she has to lift it. That's why she fusses shortly after being put on her tummy. Like I said, just keep at it. It's NORMAL for many babies.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 8:40 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Tummy time also counts if she's laying on your stomach playing with you.
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 8:41 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I used to lay on my back, put my legs in the area, and lay my little on their tummies on my shins. That way they were looking at my face, and they liked when I would lightly bounce my legs - upside is it's also great exercise!

Answer by missanc at 9:04 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• My kids hated it. I never ever put them on their tummies. They all crawled and are extremely athletic. I think it's a bunch of bull.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:10 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Don't stress about it. Mine hated tummy time and then suddenly LOVED it.

Just be aware of your baby and follow your gut. Your baby. You know best.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:47 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• My daughter was the same way. Get down on your tummy, and make funny faces.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:22 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Both my grandchildren disliked tummy time. We just did it a few times a day in small increments. Hang in there!
    lilachievers

Answer by lilachievers at 12:25 PM on Feb. 6, 2011