Cat scratches while pregnant

I'm 4 months and we have a kitten who is 3 1/2 mo old. I was giving her a bath earlier because she'd managed to get in the garbage and was all sorts of nasty. It was her first bath and she was freaked obviously. She managed to put 6 deep(bleeding) scratches in my arm and on my chest. I don't change the litter anymore because of toxoplasmosis, but should I be concerned about what her nails might have left behind in my skin? I washed with soap and water and then hydrogen peroxide and put anitbiotic oitnment on, but am I being over cautious or should i be doing something else?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:23 PM on Nov. 16, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I would personally just do the peroxide and ointment like you did, and watch for infection. Repeat with the peroxide once or twice today and then again tomorrow. It'll probably be fine.
    mrseum

Answer by mrseum at 4:28 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• diddo what she said! But stay away from the litter for sure!
    dylans_mom

Answer by dylans_mom at 4:43 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• I would definitely see a doctor to be safe. Cats carry dangerous bacteria (internally, it's not caused by being dirty!) that, when it enters the human body, can cause great illness, seizures, gangrene, etc. That's why you're supposed to throw water on fighting cats to break them up, rather than just removing them from the fight (a lesson I will never forget: my Mom get extremely ill after being attacked by our cat!). :)

Honestly, there is more risk of getting sick from this than there is from the litter box. If you've had cats for awhile, chances are you've already been exposed to the toxoplasmosis bacteria and now have the antibodies for it. It's something they typically get from outdoors, so if you have indoor cats, your chances are much lower. However, just because the bacteria lives in their poop doesn't mean it stays there: it can be tracked anywhere on their paws anytime they use the litter box.
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 5:34 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• I have two cats who sleep with me and pretty much own the house, so I did a lot of research before getting pregnant. I hope it helps you, too! :)
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 5:35 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• I would talk to your doctor about using peroxide. I have heard that using soap and water in the best thing for a wound as peroxide not only kills the unhealthy cells but the healthy ones as well.

http://www.rd.com/living-healthy/7-first-aid-standbys-you-should-never-use/article14315.html
    Bolman

Answer by Bolman at 8:52 PM on Nov. 16, 2008