Does anyone know someone w/ Schizophrenia?

My BIL does, he lives with us. Just wondering if, u do how do cope?

pswiley

Asked by pswiley at 8:40 PM on Feb. 5, 2011 in Health

• We don't, but the woman across the street has her son living with her, and he has schizophrenia. She has a really hard time with it, and can never date, because so few men will handle it well. She hangs out with friends, and does what she can to get out. I think they also have a woman that comes over and works with him on behavioral stuff. Hang in there. I know it's not easy. ((hugs))
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 8:42 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• 2 of my uncles married women who were. My one male cousin is, and another male cousin is bi-polar.....and they have kids. Anyways. It's harder than I would want to live with. My cousin who is schizophrenic goes off the deep end and burns things, like he burned his wifes childhood photo albums that her gramma gave her. He destroys things. I don't know what to tell you other than to try to find a support group or go to a therapist who specializes in schizophrenia and get support from them. GL
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 8:43 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• My uncle Ken has it BAD. Paranoid Schizophrenia
    My grandma said when he was 9 he had a seizure and started banging his head furiously against the floor. He was as stiff as a board and no one could stop him. he got a skull fracture from it! Right after that he started acting strange,became a daredevil,took risks. He did drugs and drank himself unconscious in his teens to try to escape the voices.
    no one figured it was PS. He was diagnosed in the army. They threw him out. He's been in jail several times. Finally a judge ordered him to takes his meds or be institutionalized. He chose his freedom.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:00 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Yes, 2 people, though not directly in my life. I don't know how those close to the afflicted cope, but I think a support group would really help. At least you know others would be in your same position.

I do not envy those who have a close relative afflicted with this devastating disease.
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 10:22 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• My grandma has it. She has forever. She was easier to deal with when my grandpap was alive, he knew how to snap her back into reality. But ever since he died (8 years this May) she has become harder and harder to deal with. We always know when she starts to get sick again because she gets mean and will often times start yelling at everyone in Italian (which she doesn't speak when she is having "good days") It's really rough, and the home she lives in now told my dad that if she has another bad episode, they are going to have to find a new place for her to live, most likely a state mental hospital :(
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 8:53 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• my ex husband has a brother with
    he does ok when on meds, can not work, but can get through the day
    then because is feels good on meds, he goes off them and he can not open a can of beans, sees faces with dots on, goes without heat in home in dead of winter and drives around town!
    then very hard to get him back on
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:01 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• My aunt. She lives in a care facility now and lived with my grandma before. She wouldn't talk to people before or come out of her room, but now that she is getting the appropriate care (not that grandma didn't try, she did her best) she is happy to get visitors and will carry on a pretty normal conversation. I know it's not easy for the person or for the caregiver. I think it's awesome that you're willing to help your BIL.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 9:02 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I understand completely but, my BIL lived w/ his dad and stepmom for 10 yrs. and he had a bad spell and they put him in a home for the disabled. My dh( his brother) couldn't stand that so, we got him out. He's been w/ us for 4 yrs. now. Some days r good and some bad.
    pswiley

Comment by pswiley (original poster) at 9:02 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I do and Schizophrenia is very hard to control without meds and counseling. You will have good days and bad days with him. I suggest a good counselor to help you cope with him and his behaviors.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:04 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• My biological mother who I haven't seen in over 10 years. I cut contact with her because her and my bio dad (now deceased) were unfit parents. It's left me scarred living with someone that is schizo as a child, so if there are children around...I'd probably want them in a home. Sorry...I know my opinion is different than everyones but having my childhood taken from me in so many ways...I'm not sympathetic.
    mom23boys679

Answer by mom23boys679 at 8:59 AM on Feb. 6, 2011