3 year old with Tonsillitis...4 days with fever of 101-103.5....?'s

My 3 year old daughter has had a fever of 101-103.5 since Tuesday (this is the 4th day). I took her to the Dr. Thursday and he said she has Tonsillitis with an Ulcer on one of her Tonsils. He said there isn't anything she can have other than Tylenol to relieve the pain. I got her some chewables because she gags with the liquid. Friday we noticed her lips were swelling and blister looking. I called the Dr. and all he said was that he can give her some "magic mouthwash" to help. He didn't seem concerned about her lips at all! Does that sound right?? She hasn't been eating and barely drinking. She usually doesn't take naps during the day but has been since she came down with this. I am SO worried about her! She doesn't want to do anything but lay down or be held. I can't really make her drink or eat because she is only 3 and if I tried she would just sit there and cry. UGH! Is the Dr. right that there isn't anything to do? What if she gets dehydrated? How will I know? When should this pass? It just doesn't seem right that the fever would last thing long.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:23 PM on Feb. 5, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Did you Dr. also fail to tell you that every child is different?  That having a high fever which can be different in every child can cause them to seize out?  I would head straight to the emergency room just to be on the safe side babe.  My 3 year old had a temp of 105 without seizing out but my oldest has a high temp at 101.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 9:28 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Take her to ANOTHER DOCTOR!! If you don't agree with the 1st diagnosis, get a second opinion!
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:29 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Did he test for strep? Even if he did the rapid did he culture it too? I would be going back or to the ER.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 9:30 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Also try popsicles.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 9:31 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Yes they tested for strep and the flu and both came back negative. I have tried giving her anything and everything she would ask for...popsicles, ice cream....she just won't.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:39 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• It will be ok to give her childrens ibuprofen in this situation. Tylenol is just considered the safe route, but in many ways ibuprofen works better and faster and should help with any swelling in her throat. It will help her actually "feel" better. (personally, I think it has more sugar that makes them feel better) From what I've seen with my toddlers. I have two 4 year olds and two 2 year olds. The moment she starts feeling better, get her to drink some pedialite, gatorade, or powerade. (slowly, or she might throw up) You can also buy those little strips that disolve on her tongue. They have them both for her throat and ones for dehydration. During the times she has a fever, stay away from dairy. Dairy doesn't sit well in a heated stomach...if you know what I mean. And "FIRE' that horrible doctor!!! She's a baby!!! He should be a million times more helpful. And don't worry, she will get better. Hope this helps..
    tornadotwinsx2

Answer by tornadotwinsx2 at 10:35 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• If you are that worried and she isn't acting "normal" for her, then take her to the ER. Blisters on the lips and not eating or drinking is a problem. I would also find a different doctor. Tonsilittis is nothing to mess around with.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:57 PM on Feb. 5, 2011