If you do your own taxes

Did you start doing your own taxes right away (when you first had to start filing), or did you only start doing them after years? How complicated is it?DH said that he wants to do ours this year instead of paying H&R Block again.

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 9:54 PM on Feb. 5, 2011 in Money & Work

• I've always done my own, it's not hard if you use a program like TaxAct. (That's what the H&R Block people do!) I didn't even use a program until I started having children, investments, donations, etc; they are too complicated for me not to use a program.

You'll be fine :)
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:00 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I started in '10 doing them with Turbotax. the $50 software and $30 fees were a hell of alot easier to swallow than the $225 H&R charged!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:00 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• i have always done my own , just read up on it alittle.
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 10:02 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• If you can do the EZ form, you can do it for free thru the Tax Cut website. If you need the long form, then buy the Tax Cut software for $30. Its really so easy i have no idea how HR block stays in business. I own a business and use the small business owners addition of Tax Cut which is $80 but still way cheaper than the $400 an accountant or HR Block would charge to do business tazes.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 10:06 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I have done my own before and have paid for them to get done. If you use TurboTax or something it guides you through it, just answer the questions. You do have to pay to e, file but it is cheaper than going to H&r Block or somewhere else.

My county has a free tax service for those whose income is under 48,000. I volunteered for them last year and had my site coordinator do mine. I got more back last year than ever before, but there were additonal credits last year than other years.

I recommend doing your own-you will save a lot of money and its not hard at all.

Good luck!!
    MizzNicole

Answer by MizzNicole at 11:12 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I started doing my own not long after I got married (8 years ago). It's not hard if you use a program like TaxCut, TurboTax, etc. The programs are very user friendly and have a "help" feature if you have questions.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 11:20 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I think if your taxes are simple enough it's okay to do it on your own. You can file online and they'll walk you through (not literally) step by step and check your math etc.

If you're taxes are complicated though, it's probably worth it to pay someone else to do it.

Try doing it yourself though. If it's too complicated then you can pay someone else to help.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 1:36 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I figured out my own taxes this year. I printed out the forms to see if I could actually figure it out. It was pretty easy and I am a person that hates math. I got on turbotax.com and hrblock.com and looked at the calculators. When I did the figuring myself on paper, I came out with the same number. I wanted to E-file so I filed my taxes with Turbo Tax online. I was a little nervous at first because in the past we have always paid a professional do it.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 1:56 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I've been doing ours for about 15 years using Turbotax. I have heard horror stories about H&R Block doing taxes and if I want them, I'll njust do that myself!
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 4:30 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I get the taxes ready for my tax man to do them.
    avilio54

Answer by avilio54 at 10:45 AM on Feb. 7, 2011