How much is it to live in Hawaii?

is it true to get groceries it is way more expensive like a gal. of milk $5.00?
thanks!

if everything is up over how about the pay for employees?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:11 PM on Feb. 5, 2011 in Money & Work

• very expensive, My Sil and her family live there and it is actually cheaper for us to buy their school supplies here and mail them to her. I was there last in 1996 and back then bread was 3.50 and milk was 5.50. You can qualify for foodstamps if you make 50,000 a year. What does that tell you. But for some people there is no price on paradise.
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 10:15 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Yep, it's true...and no pay is not necessarily more. Make sure you have a stable and good paying job before you move, and be prepared to get used to living in a much smaller space.
    ladymomtraveler

Answer by ladymomtraveler at 10:17 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Do a Cost of living comparison from on where you live now and there, this way you'll get a better idea. 

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 10:26 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Milk was over $5 a gallon when I lived there, and that was more than 10 years ago. At that time gas cost about double what it cost on the mainland. We had a very small 2 bedroom apartment with no air conditioning, and our monthly rent was about $900; it was the cheapest one we could find. Yes, it is expensive.  If you become a resident you will get discounts on some things, but just your everyday living expenses will still be high.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 10:54 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• According to the "Cost of Living Comparison" musicmom posted, I would have to increase my income by over 85% to maintain the same standard of living in Honolulu as I have in my current city!
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 10:59 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• My sister lived there for a couple of years as a visiting nurse and she said it was VERY expensive to live there. She eventually left and now lives in Phoenix.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 4:28 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I've heard the cost of living is very high there.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 8:45 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• It is very costly to live there. Reason they have to have everything shipped in and for that reason along with the economy it is very expensive!
    avilio54

Answer by avilio54 at 10:42 AM on Feb. 7, 2011