I AM =

I just saw this on the news and wished I knew about till late tonight. I would have so participated. It's a project that travels from city to city that empowers humanity to take a stand for equality and the rights of all people. They place a temp tattoo on your hand then take your picture then e-mail it to you so you can post in anywhere you want and tell people want it means.

Here is the website

http://www.iamequalproject.org/

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 11:28 PM on Feb. 5, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Thanks for the downvote! Why, since I asked some LEGITIMATE questions?! HOW does taking a picture of a stamped hand, make everyone EQUAL?! I really don't understand! And in giving me a downvote, it's clear that you don't know either! "Feel good" projects never amount to much!

In 1986, we had the "Hands Across America" project, where people from New York to California were to link hands, making a CONTINUOUS human chain across the country to support helping the impoverished, homeless and hungry! Nobel idea? Yes! HOWEVER, less than $20 million was raised, falling short of the $50 million goal. The event failed because costs exceeded $17 million and the majority of the 5 million+ participants didn't pay the $10 fee!

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:14 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I don't get how sending the image of your hand around cyberspace is going to change people's attitude towards equality? What are those who started this project hoping to achieve? Because, there are and always will be inequalities between men and women, and different cultures, and "hand stamp" isn't going to change that.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:12 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Oh my, LK. I had forgotten about the "Hands Across America". I didn't participate. I, like you, don't see how this helps. We forget that so many of the 'homeless' want it that way. They like the freedom, the lack of responsibility, and a certain amount of invisibility it gives them. The rest of the homeless tend to make it a temporary condition. I am all for charity and helping, but it has to be something that is directly to the person needing the help and not filtered through some huge 'charity' that has to keep most of the money due to 'processing' cost. If I help in my community, my help goes directly to the people needing it.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 11:02 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Lori...

You're cracking me up latley!
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 10:45 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• My CM avatar, for another example, doesn't cure autism, but it has caused other moms to pm me and ask me questions about autism and my daughter--it has opened the door to me being able to give support and sometimes advice to moms whose children are being evaluated or have just recently been diagnosed.

***
    Speaking of bringing awareness to an issue that affects both of us...I am the kind of person who firmly REFUSES to partake in "wearing badges" to highlight mine or my children's struggles. It's especially because there is SO MUCH misinformation about Autism out there, and SO MANY preconceived notions and stereotypes about what Autism is, that I don't want people to "feel sorry" for me, or assume anything negative about my children. I also don't want them to develop a "crutch" attitude that because they have Autism, they cannot succeed or do things like everyone else. In fact, I don't even think they KNOW what Autism is!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:26 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• What a nice idea to educate & bring attention to an important issue that unfortunately is still on ongoing problem. It may not change everyone's attitude, b/c let's face it, some people are hard-headed & set in their ways. But it brings attention to the problem, and will hopefully start a healthy dialogue toward changing things for the better.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:26 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• read... it's on your HAND

mommy_of_two388

Comment by mommy_of_two388 (original poster) at 11:42 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• The way it helps is by sending a positive message which does tend to get people more involved in learning about the issues and working together to solve them.  This may not directly solve the problem, but it does help raise awareness--like a ribbon to support a favorite cause. The ribbon itself doesn't help anyone directly. The pink ribbon doesn't cure breast cancer, the puzzle ribbon doesn't prevent autism, but they do show support and open opportunities to talk about those issues and why they're important to the wearer. My CM avatar, for another example, doesn't cure autism, but it has caused other moms to pm me and ask me questions about autism and my daughter--it has opened the door to me being able to give support and sometimes advice to moms whose children are being evaluated or have just recently been diagnosed.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 12:09 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Thanks for the downvote!

Promise I didn't vote you down. I gave everyone a vote up besides the very first poster.

mommy_of_two388

Comment by mommy_of_two388 (original poster) at 12:23 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• However, I am very well versed in Autism and have a staunch medically based approach that does NOT blame vaccines, the environment or anything other than genetics. We have so far approached our children's issues WITHOUT medication, or baseless dietary changes/restrictions--other than a normal healthy/balanced diet, and children's multivitamins.

It breaks my heart to see other moms with autistic children take everything Autism Speaks says without doing their own fact-checking and trusting "doctors" who aren't AMA Board Certified, with their children's health and well-being by suggesting essentially "snake oil salesman" cures.

It's unfortunate, but moms like me, are erroneously assumed to be in denial if we don't identify ourselves by wearing some "puzzle" related paraphernalia on ourselves or our children--when that couldn't be further from the truth! I can answer questions without "advertising!"
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:35 PM on Feb. 6, 2011