Just say so...to Pitocin!!

I think all I needed was Ina Mae Gaskin's Guide to Child birth.
Everyone should also know that the maker's of pit don't make it for birth at all and don't want it used for birth. Study up.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:31 PM on Feb. 5, 2011 in Pregnancy

• then what is it made for
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 11:33 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Really? Because from my studying on the issue, it is made for birth.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 11:37 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Very few women need inductions yet Pitocin is involved in most births.

And in the country I am in (US), 33% of women have cesareans. AND we pay more for maternity care here. We score poorly for maternal mortality.

Like they say:
    "If you are not outraged, you're not paying attention!"

doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:40 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I always feel bad for moms who say they were given that crap and then did a natural birth.  I feel so much for those women!  How painful that must have been!

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 11:41 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I had pitocin for 13 hours (trying to have a natural birth, meaning no pain meds) prior to my emergency c-section. My baby was very healthy and in the end that is all that matters. Outrage after the fact is not productive.

blueberry1

Answer by blueberry1 at 11:50 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• "Outrage after the fact is not productive."

Well it probably has more fuel than *before* the fact.
    lol
    And a pretty sad perspective. But your choice.

If you know to do better in the future I bet you would work for it.
    (So that outrage would likely come in handy.)

doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:02 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• doulala - I will never actually know if the result would have been different without the Pitocin. For me to assume that one intervention lead to another and to have overall frustration about my birth experience gets me absolutely nothing. I have a wonderful healthy toddler now and I choose to appreciate every moment of his life - including his birth. Focusing on what went differently than I would have liked would take something away from both of us. That is why I think outrage after the fact is not productive.
    blueberry1

Answer by blueberry1 at 12:40 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Blueberry:
    I am not encouraging sulking and getting lost among regret.
    I am saying if you don't speak up for yourself (and share with others if you choose) then it's not very helpful-productive.
    It's hard to imagine it won't affect your future deliveries.

"Focusing on what went differently than I would have liked would take something away from both of us."
    Like what? You mean that you will feel frustration?
    What's wrong with being honest?

Mourning loss, healing, learning from our experiences (whether mistakes or disappointments, whatever), are relevant.
    It's okay to be happy with your healthy outcomes, to love your baby, AND to be frustrated that things could have/should have been different/better.

We can learn from this and use the experience as a foundation for the future.
    This is how we can improve our lives (in all areas).

doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:51 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• watching tennis

sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 10:18 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I had Pitocin and had a natural (no pain meds) birth. I've heard it's worse, but I have nothing to compare it to. My son is healthy, that's all I care about.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 11:52 AM on Feb. 7, 2011