For those of you who have guns and are Christian..

How does that fit into your belief system of not murdering, promoting violence, etc? Jesus didn't use weapons, he also said to turn the other cheek and disciplined one of his disciples (i forget which one) for slicing off the ear of one of the soldiers coming to take Jesus away. He promoted non-violence pretty much in all manners possible. How do you justify having guns?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:11 PM on Nov. 16, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• OP, there have been many attacks on Christians lately because of our stance on gay marriage, and many other issues. I think that poster is just a little tired of it and went off. I'll admit to being tired of it myself, but I can be calm about it.

As for your question, I agree that it's okay. We have hunters in the family, and I live in a big hunting area here in Texas. I also agree that guns are great for self defense. Don't forget, God ENCOURAGED Israel to fight when they came out of Egypt. We are encouraged not to if it can be avoided, but if it can't, give it to 'em with both barrels! lol
    rhope4

Answer by rhope4 at 8:43 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• My guns are a way of self defense, I love Jesus and I believe in God but I am sorry if someone broke into my home and were around my kids I can't just turn the other cheek, I will do what I have to to protect my children from any hamr.
    Married2theBest

Answer by Married2theBest at 5:13 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• My guns are used for hunting.
    Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 5:18 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• The Bible is full of scriptutes telling us that defense of ourselves and loved ones is not only OK, but is expected and right, that standing by and allowing evil to happen is evil too.
    It also has scriptures like the ones you mention.
    Is it possible that both types are right? For me, yes.

Does God expect me to stand there while someone kills my child? Of course not.
    Does God expect me to allow myself to be raped? Of course not.
    Does God think it's OK for me to say nasty things about someone who said nasty things about me? No.
    Does God think it's OK for me to harm someone who has done me no harm? No.
    Jesus rebuked his follower because he knew the soldier was was doing God's will. Are you going to tell me that someone who invades my home with intent to harm me is following God's will?
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:26 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• We don't have a gun but aren't against it. If someone enters into OUR home and attempts to do harm to us or our children, I would shoot them without a second thought. No one will enter into MY home uninvited! That does NOT mean I promote violence! That does not mean I'm a murderer. It's simple self-defense and I don't think God will blame you for protecting your family.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 5:32 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• we go hunting and so you are telling me if someone came in to your home and had a gun toyour childrens heads you would turn the other cheek ? im sorry but id tell hubby get the rifle and shoot the prick
    Anonymous

• So now Christians have to be vegetarians now too? How else did they get food when there weren't slaughter houses?

Anonymous

• It was the Apostle Peter ... and if one reads any of the stories about Jesus Christ's actions, and the deeds of the apostles in the years after His Resurrection, then one can see that these were active people, who had a message of freedom and taking responsibility for oneself which was a new message. Before, folks were pressured to follow their priests and do as they were told. Christ preached that it was now time to grow up and make your own decisions based on values you have thought through for yourself. (John1: 16, translated from the Greek: "And from His fulness, we all have received the grace to do the good out of ourselves, for the divine law was GIVEN through Moses; became and came through Jesus Christ. ..." ) There is nothing meek about true Christianity. Turn the other cheek was an admonition for self-control, not an edict to allow your children to be harmed.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 5:45 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• as a christian, i don't have to justify having a gun. no where in my 'fairytale book'(as another post called it once) does it tell me, as a christian, that i can not own a gun/weapon. it tells me to obey the law of the land...and as a law-abiding citizen, i only have to register it and follow the laws concerning owning/using it.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 5:46 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• I'm Christian and I don't own a gun. I'm not opposed to it but I just don't have one. I see nothing wrong with it. The bible can be interprited (sp) in so many ways.....it all depends on who you ask. I like kaycee14's answer.
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 6:07 PM on Nov. 16, 2008