any luck on potty training a dachshund?

is it the breed or is it just my dachshund that doesnt learn to use the br outside, hes 2 yrs old and just doesnt get it.

SHADYZGIRL1983

Asked by SHADYZGIRL1983 at 5:21 PM on Nov. 16, 2008 in Pets

• My mom had one that she ended up training him to go those disposable doggie pads. I think it's because we have extreme winter's and he didn't like the snow.
    Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 5:30 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• i would smack the dog until he went outside..lock him in a darn crate..

hes just being lazy seriously..

he knows....

LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 10:31 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• That breed is very stuborn..lol but it can be done. Limit his water intake . When he takes a drink or has his meals, take him out right after he finishes. When he is in the house during the day for a wk you need to take a leach and put him on it and attach it to your pants loop. He will have to go with you every where you go when he is out of a crate. A crate can be used when you can't be watching him every minute.A small one is good for him as long as he can lay down and turn around. But you need to get really into a training mode with him. When you think he is going to lift his leg or poop , say no and take him right out the door to the potty area,. Is it possiable for a doggy door to be installed ? They are great .You will have to watch him all the time till he gets it.I know it sounds crazy but just like any other training it needs to be consistant. Good luck with that breed, they are fun dogs.
    doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 4:14 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Quoting an earlier post:

"i would smack the dog until he went outside..lock him in a darn crate..

hes just being lazy seriously..

he knows...."

The above comment is just plain ignorance. This person obviously doesn't have pets.... at least not ones they care about or have trained before.

Try taking him outside every hour when possible. When he goes outside, make a HUGE deal out of it. Squeal say good boy the whole nine yards. Don't "smack" him unless you actually catch him pottying on the floor. DON'T EVER stick their nose in it. That only teaches them that "mommy doesn't want me to sniff pee/poo!" It takes patience. If you can contact a dog trainer for some basic tips. (What I mentioned above is basically what any trainer will tell you!)

Anonymous

• I agree with doglovegranny. My parents breed them when I was growing up, they are one of the hardest breeds to potty train. Smart but stubborn. Recommend to install a doggy door. Not recommend using potty pads, because it lets him know it is okay to go inside. If you do catch him in the act get onto him with a tone of voice "No bad boy" and place him in a crate. Smacking or rubbing his nose will not do anything except make him scared of you. Also, dashounds are known to have anxiety problems when left alone. They like to poop and urinate when at home by themselves. Just stay patient and remember they are stubborn. My parents currently have a female that is spoiled beyond belief. If they are there she will use the doggy door, and the second they walk outside without her she will urinate on the floor. It's like she is mad and paying them back. Good Luck.

JD08

Answer by JD08 at 7:20 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I have a dachshund baby puppy that is 11 weeks old and she may have a few accidents but since we got her at 8 weeks i take her out throughout the day and she rarely has an accident in my home. It also has to do with the owner not being lazy to take the time to help them learn.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:34 AM on Nov. 18, 2008