Pregnant and Need to go to the Dentist!

I desperately need to get some dental work done but we just found out we're pregnant again. Has anyone had any dental work done while pregnant? Or know the facts on it?

HotAZMama

Asked by HotAZMama at 12:12 AM on Feb. 6, 2011 in Pregnancy

• My SIL is actually having work done and right now she is 8 months pregnant. They are doing fillings. All I know is you cant have the laughing gas, other then that some dentist will do it while you are pregnant.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:25 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I have, and the dentist knows what you are allowed to have done and what you can not have done. And if they don't they call your OBGYN to make sure. I had fillings and X=rays. I kinda had to since that is only when I had insurance for myself through medicaid.
    AmyLynn5398

Answer by AmyLynn5398 at 12:27 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Thanks girls for the comments :-) I was doing a little more research on-line and it says dental work is ok in the second trimester and after but like you stated...no laughing gas. Thanks again!
    HotAZMama

Comment by HotAZMama (original poster) at 12:35 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I went for a cleaning, but my dentist would not do an x-ray or anything. So I just ended up getting my xrays right after the baby was born. Good luck!
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 10:14 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• welcome to cafemom

sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 10:15 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Yes, I had a routine cleaning but they held off on the x-rays. A friend of mine had a root canal while pregnant.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:36 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I had my routine cleaning and a needed a filling. I waited until the second trimester for both. My OB said I could have xrays, but the dentist said I could wait until my next visit. They gave me a shot of novicane for the filling and both my OB and dentist said that was perfectly safe.
    Sillieguze

Answer by Sillieguze at 4:57 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I had a root canal a couple weeks ago. They just o.k ed everything with my ob before hand. I'm 32 weeks right now.
    snowangel1979

Answer by snowangel1979 at 9:12 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• If it's routine dental work (cleaning/checkup) pregnancy is not a problem at all. Most recent research has even shown that a minimal number x-rays are even safe during pregnancy. However, anything that will require narcotics or pain killers are supposed to be put off until the after 28 weeks or after delivery if at all possible.
    MommyMegO2011

Answer by MommyMegO2011 at 7:34 AM on Feb. 7, 2011