Are step parents considered grandparents?

ok my dh's grandmother said that my step mom and my dh's step dad are not our kids grandparents. Am i the only one that thinks she is full of it. she said that there is no blood there so they are not grandparents.

newlife627

Asked by newlife627 at 12:19 AM on Feb. 6, 2011 in Relationships

• My favorite Garth Brooks song is Blood is thicker then water

It goes "Blood is thicker then water, but love is thicker then blood."
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:23 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• They don't need to be blood related to be grandparents. That's like saying your stepmom cant be your mom since you arent blood related. I think she's full of it as well.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:20 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• You can define your family however choose. Blood matters as much as you think it does - not a bit more.
    blueberry1

Answer by blueberry1 at 12:21 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• She sounds like my mom! I think that's jealousy. My step mother is just as wonderful to my kids as my own mom. It all depends on how they treat your child...
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 12:24 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• So does that mean parents who adopt aren't real parents??? That is a load of bull to me. My daughter has two grandmothers who are not related to us in any way they are friends of the family. She calls one Be-be and the other one G-ma.
    Anon344

Answer by Anon344 at 12:25 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• They are if you want them to be

Answer by admckenzie at 12:26 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I consider my stepdad and my stepmom my son's grandparents and so does everyone else. My stepbrother is also his uncle. I don't know why they wouldn't be grandparents!
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 12:20 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• She is definitely wrong. Her ideas do not have to affect the way you act towards the step parents.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 12:21 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• i agree with mommyoftwo especially if the natural grand parents are bad role models or dead.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 12:25 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• My fil is my dh step father. He IS my dd other grandfather ( my dad is the other one) because my dh is gone and I was never comfortable around him anyway. I don't think in this day and age that blood defines family. So if you consider the step parents as grandparents then others can sthu lol
    elyssek832

Answer by elyssek832 at 12:27 AM on Feb. 6, 2011