Is God responsible for evil?

Isaiah 45:7 (King James Version)

7I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:00 AM on Feb. 6, 2011 in Religious Debate

• in my opinion .....I don't think He "creates" evil...however, He did create the universe and allowed evil into it. But it was mans choice...Man was given a choice. So God gave us the choice to choose evil or choose to live eternally with Him. The KJV can be taken out of context as well, and I think all related verses should be studied before forming that kind of opinion :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 1:02 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I don't see how allowing us to exercise our free will, but not creating evil Himself, somehow negates His power.

Because suggesting evil comes from anywhere but him negates the definition of "all powerful". If you are discussing an "all powerful" being, the only way you can discuss something they cannot do without negating them being all powerful, is by suggesting something that is not possible in reality (like the make a rock so big he can't lift it thing - it's a logical fallacy, so you can say it, but it doesn't prove anything). This gets away from questions of faith and into the rules of logic and reality. Evil exists. (if you believe) God is all powerful. Therefore, God MUST have created evil, because if he didn't, there is something that exists that was created by someone or something else and forced upon his creation. If he's all powerful, either that isn't possible,or it isn't really his (or only his) creation.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:26 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• It clearly states "I create EVIL. I THE LORD DO ALL THESE THINGS"
    How difficult is that to understand?
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 12:44 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I do not know the OT well, but I found this and it seems to make sense and thought I would share it with you.

Isaiah 45:7 in the King James Version reads, “I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.”

How does Isaiah 45:7 agree with the view that God did not create evil? There are two key facts that need to be considered.

(1) The word translated “evil” is from a Hebrew word that means “adversity, affliction, calamity, distress, misery.” Notice how the other major English Bible translations render the word: “disaster” (NIV, HCSB), “calamity” (NKJV, NAS, ESV), and “woe” (NRSV). The Hebrew word can refer to moral evil, and often does have this meaning in the Hebrew Scriptures. However, due to the diversity of possible definitions, it is unwise to assume that “I create evil” in Isaiah 45:7 refers to God bringing moral evil into existence.

the_kimmers

Answer by the_kimmers at 1:05 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• ditto to gou18 and Noosa...that's how I want to say it, but didn't know how...when I say take out of context, I mean someone can take one single verse and base an entire belief system off of that, without further studying the related texts...the KJV uses terms that are typically taken out of context...it can be very hard to understand sometimes....and no I don't think the verse is wrong...nothing in the Bible in my opinion is wrong. :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 1:12 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Depends on your opinion. There's a few arguments a nnumber of ways for them such as

"God created everything so he created evil"
    "God didn't create evil the devil did" (But then you have to think that God created the devil
    'Evil is a result of sin and thus comes from Adam and Eve"
    And lastly the good ole "free will" arguement of which evil is the result of God's gift of free will to man so man is responsible for evil.

Take your pick
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:14 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I think he created people with the capacity to become evil if they so choose. I do not think that God MAKES bad things happen in this world, but I also don't think that he intervenes to stop all of them either. Like another poster said, Adam and Eve were without sin...which means they were perfect. Once they screwed that all up, sin was invited into the world. And with sin comes evil. God created people with free will and their own minds to make their own decisions. So was evil created? Yes, but not by God himself...by the human race.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 1:19 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Some gods are are Light.
    Some gods are Dark.
    Some gods are Neutral.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 10:34 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I think he allowed it to be (allowing Satan to live), and gave us free will to choose!
    2boyz2pray4

Answer by 2boyz2pray4 at 3:51 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Bottom line, if God is the creator of Life, the Universe and Everything, then yes, God created evil. 

Argument One: The Devil is responsible for creating evil ... who created the Devil ... GOD. 

Argument Two: Man is responsible for creating evil ... who created man ... GOD. 

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 6:53 PM on Feb. 6, 2011