Flying to NYC with our 7mo. tips? suggestions?

DH&I will be flying to NYC this June. Our daughter will be 7mo. do you have any suggestions? anything special to pack? what airlines are the most kid friendly?

I'm a very efficient packer. DH&I are both active duty soldiers. Space isn't an issue. We've just never traveled with a baby before! lol Thanks in advance for your help!!!

BrookeKRod

Asked by BrookeKRod at 1:01 AM on Feb. 6, 2011 in Travel

• Bring a paci, a bottle or if you are breastfeeding try to nurse on the plane on the way up. It will help if she has something to suck on.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 1:03 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• have something for baby to drink on to help pop ears. light blanket-some flights are cold. small toys to stay happy.
    camera :)
    noelliekodasmum

Answer by noelliekodasmum at 1:13 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• It's been years since we've flown with young kids. During take-off make sure she is either feeding or sucking on pacifier to help her ears pop. Once we were in the air, we pulled the tray tables down and she just lied across it and fell asleep. If she will be in the car seat on the plane let her sit in it as long as she can. Think of it as an 15,000 mile high car ride. What would you do for a long car ride with her? Toys, snacks, baby food, etc. You will get priority seating to get settled. We flew Continental and they were great.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 8:36 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• i agree with op american airline is grat with kids
    suhweetness

Answer by suhweetness at 1:05 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• moh and i made room for a boppy pillow. good to have also
    noelliekodasmum

Answer by noelliekodasmum at 1:14 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Plan for extra formula if you are not breastfeeding in case you get delayed for any reason.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 11:17 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Comfy walking shoes and a good (not a crappy Infantino) baby carrier. I highly recommend the Ergo Baby Carrier. I've been to NYC a couple times, and thinking about taking a 7 month old in a stroller all over the place, seems like it would have been a huge PITA. Assuming you are going to be sightseeing, that is.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 12:00 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Oh, and I think Barnes and Noble has some really nice NYC maps that included the subways. They folded up really easily and if I remember correctly they were waterproof and tearproof. I could be wrong though, the last time we went was 2004, so it's been awhile.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 12:03 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Sorry, I probably should have specified that NYC is my hometown. I've just seen so many people struggle with babies in airports, on the subway, etc. I need all the advice I can get! Thank you all for your advice! I really appreciate it!
    BrookeKRod

Comment by BrookeKRod (original poster) at 12:45 AM on Feb. 7, 2011