Hey mom's, what's a good gift idea for a sweet 16?

My eldest is approaching her sweet 16. We've gone from regular party, to tattoo party, to Valentine's Day themed party, to no party at all. She's up for getting our hair and nails done together the day BEFORE her b-day, cause it falls on a Saturday. But other than that, she pretty much just wants money, and to be able to spend the day with her friends. Should I be cool with that? Or should I secretly do something big and surprise her with it? Or should I just give her some cash in a card and let her go ahead about her business? I'm torn right now...

Dmommy4

Asked by Dmommy4 at 1:25 AM on Feb. 6, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• I would not just surprise her. I know if someone surprised me, I would walk out and be highly upset. I do NOT like surprises. Let her enjoy the day with her friends, it is what she wants. It isn't about what mom, dad or anyone else wants. It's about what SHE wants. She is telling you what she wants, LISTEN to her. You can always have a family dinner..HER favorite dinner and cake.

Also, NO 16 year old NEEDS a car for their birthday.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:35 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• a matching mother and daughter locket. that is sentimental.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 1:27 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I think that jewelry is a really special gift. Something unique to her :) Like a necklace, ring, or bracelet. Whatever she wears/likes the most. My grandmother got me a beautiful, vintage ring with a sapphire ( my birth stone). And even though it is to small now, I keep it in a very safe, special place because it meant a lot to me.
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 1:55 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• A cup cake maker? Where'd that one come from...lol. I agree with jewelry or a nice watch maybe.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 7:45 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Who didn't want a car for their 16th?
    Noosa

Answer by Noosa at 1:31 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• She's telling you that she is growing up and wants to have her own thing with her friends. Let her!!! She is now at the stage where she should have some independence from her parents. You have to realize she is not your baby anymore. Be there to support her but if she wants to be with her friends, let her. You can do something more bonding-like at another time, such as take her out to a nice place for lunch and do the stuff you want to do with her.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 8:15 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Being Jewish, 16 isn't special. We just got done with a big Bat Mitzvah (13) for my daughter and are getting ready for my son's in 2 months. I don't want to throw another party until my kids get married. In NJ it is the day when they get their drivers permit. So most kids are with the driving instructor for most of the day getting their 8 hours of behind-the-wheel instruction in order to get the permit.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 8:18 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• you could let her go out and enjoy the day with her friends and though a "suprise" family thing for when she gets home?......as for a gift its custom in my family to get your first car on that day.....my dd with be 16 in august and we already have her car hidden away in my parents barn (all coverd up with tarps and stuff, she will just think its another one of gpa's projects and not notice) its realy what comfortable for you and your family
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 11:25 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Okay....Let her do her thing with her friends. And yet also present her with something special like a pair of pearl earrings, or a heart necklace.

twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:32 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Give her some cash and let her go about her business.
    My daughter was sickened by the show "my sweet 16" on MTV and didn't want a party either.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 1:47 PM on Feb. 7, 2011