Okay so I hear that pacifiers are okay to use when breastfeeding because the baby isn't getting anything out of it other than satisfying his need to suck. Does this sound accurate?

Kelli1012

Asked by Kelli1012 at 2:00 AM on Feb. 6, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• baby boy

sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 2:01 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Well i breastfed all 3 of mine and all 3 took pacifiers. So did my niece as she was breastfed. They did fine! It actually helped them because it seemed that being breastfed they associated nursing with comfort and would want to nurse just to be held or comforted so instead i would hold them and give them their passy!
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 2:06 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• No-- having a pacifier will actually cause some babies to feel "full" because they have satisfied their need to suck, and they sometimes ingest air. It's kinda like they're brains are being tricked. Just be aware of this and ensure that the baby is offered the breast on routine intervals. I breastfed and offered my son a pacifier, and it worked out because I still offered him milk every 2-3 hours like normal. He was awfully gassy, but I'm really not sure why that was.

I actually liked having my son on a pacifier because it meant a whole bunch of other stuff didnt' end up in his mouth. I am in the process of weaning him off, and it's not as bad as everyone around me made it out to be.

Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 3:16 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• My babies wouldn't take pacifiers. Studies have been done that show that pacifiers may help reduce the risk of SIDS.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 4:06 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Pacifiers were invented for babies who were not breastfed.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:21 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• It's true that pacifiers were intended to be a replacement for moms nipple. I would recommend waiting until breastfeeding is well established before using one.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:58 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I think if breastfeeding is going well, it is fine to use.

With my second baby, he had the hardest time nursing cuz he would suck his tongue back, if you can picture that, and it wasn't until the lactation consultant at the hospital suggested a paci to help him figure out how to suck, that he figured it out and we were able to nurse. So, the paci essentially saved our bfing relationship. He stopped taking the paci by 3 months old I think, he just didn't want it anymore.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 11:13 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I've nursed all 5 of mine, but only 2 of them took pacis. I encourage the paci, but the other 3 just wouldn't take it.

Answer by missanc at 12:04 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I gave both of my daughters pacifiers right from birth and they were also EBF. They still ate great! The pacifier was to help calm them down. They never had nipple confusion, and it didn't change their eating habits at all. I highly recommend a pacifier. But this is also a personal decision. You are going to get many different opinions on this, but I can say from m y experience and pretty much everyone else I know that EBF and gave a pacifier, there was no problem. =)
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 2:40 PM on Feb. 6, 2011