Have you ever had to give up a pet because of your child? How did you cope?

I kept my dog of 6 years, even after I brought my baby home. His behavior lately has been awful and he attacked my son. So, I've found a great home for him. But, I'm having a hard time parting with him. But, I feel like he'll have more freedom, more fun, more dog friends where he's going. Still hard. But my son comes first.

joli13

Asked by joli13 at 6:23 AM on Feb. 6, 2011 in Pets

• I'm so sorry. Pets DO become members of our families. I never had to give up a pet as an adult, but as a child my parents had to get rid of our cat Tiger when it was discovered I was severely allergic. Good that you found him a good home. Hopefully his aggressive behavior won't escalate. When a dog attacks often it's recommended the animal be put down. I pray that's not the case! Good luck.

wishbearmom

Answer by wishbearmom at 6:35 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• He's just very very protective over me. I rescued him from an abusive home and ever since, he's been my protector! But, I placed him in a home with no kids and lots of doggies and a lot of land for running. I couldn't bear to put him down, since I know he attacked because my son was close to me. I know he was just being protective. And I couldn't bear to just put him in a shelter to sit in a cage forever, or toss him out onto the street, as some people do. I know it'll be hard. But, I'm dealing with it.
    joli13

Comment by joli13 (original poster) at 6:41 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Yes, had to get rid of a cat once my son was born though I was more than happy to do it - I had been trying to get rid of the dang thing from the time my husband brought her home.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:12 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Yes, we had to give our dog up and my snakes up when my son was born. Thankfully my MIL took all of them so we could still see them without worrying about our son's wellbeing.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 9:40 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I would cope by keeping in mind that my son is now safe. How could you miss a pet that would attack your child, no matter how long you've had the pet?
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 10:11 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• We had to find a new home for our cat once our son was born for a variety of reasons. I cried for a week. But I knew she was better off in her new home. Can you go visit the dog by yourself once in awhile? it might be comforting for you to see him in his new home. hug
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:43 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I don't dump my pets. That is the simple answer. I wouldn't cope because I am not a pet dumper.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 10:47 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• "I don't dump my pets. That is the simple answer. I wouldn't cope because I am not a pet dumper"

Her dog attacked her child, you would keep a dog like that???
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 1:42 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• We had to get rid of my dog because he bit a 3 year old foster child in my home. The kid SERIOUSLLY PROVOKED him. It was my parents choice.....I mean I see thier reasoning, but it still hurt to lose my dog...I for one wouldv'e tried to teach the kid how to be nice to animals. They didn't do that...
    shanapiv

Answer by shanapiv at 5:35 PM on Feb. 6, 2011