Does anyone else have a problem with calling a woman a

slut? Just because someone disagrees with the way she handles her sexuality? I have a soapbox about this that I will stay off of. But it just has always bothered me.

Bubbie0809

Asked by Bubbie0809 at 6:40 AM on Feb. 6, 2011 in Relationships

• I'll join you on that soapbox about that term. My favorite definition of the word is "any woman who gets more male attention than you". I think more often it says a lot more about the people who call a woman a slut than it does about the woman that is being talked about.
    mandaday

Answer by mandaday at 7:44 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• A slut is defined as "term meaning an individual who is sexually promiscuous; an adulteress" and if a woman fits into that description then she is rightfully described as a slut.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 7:44 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Honestly, while I don't think we should use the word casually or easily, yes, I have known women who I think the name fits - not based on rumors, but based on what they've told me themselves. But then again, I also know men that I think the same about, for the same reasons.

For example, I had a neighbor who once was telling me about having an affair with her dh's best friend and cousin. The guy she was with killed himself (dh didn't know about the affair.) She said - on the way to the funeral(!!) - to her dh - man, and I can't believe I f***ed him, too!" This wasn't her last affair, either, causing a lot of pain to her dh and her kids. Sorry, but she's a slut, and so was the so called friend and cousin she was with (who was also married, to her best friend, btw).
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 6:59 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I do not call other women "slut" out loud. Maybe in my mind.

Answer by louise2 at 8:02 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I disagree, I don't care if a woman has more male attention or not. However, if she has committed to one person, or for that matter, if a man has committed to one person, and then he or she proceeds to cheat on that person and etc, then they are a slut. Male or female.

If you're single, and the people you're with are single, then I don't care who or what you do - it's your business. But when your sexual activities are causing pain to others, especially to someone you took a vow to be faithful to, then you or your spouse comes to me, telling me about it - and especially if you come to me, bragging about it - then I'm probably going to think you're a slut. I can hope that you will change your actions though, and I would encourage you to stop cheating and everything.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 7:49 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Being a single mom,many women called me that and said it to my face or spread it around I was easy. Calling me slut to my face. it even caused quite a problem between a new neighbor and me. I was barely ever home between two jobs, my son having cancer(Heis better now.) and my other son with learning disabilities on the one day I was home I had repair men in and out of my apartment the faucet cracked and ruined the flooring so she called cps and told them I had men in and out of my place of course they showed up the next day after they spoke to the landlord they realized what was going on and never came back. She came out and called me a slut to my face she was sorry after she saw me at work and realized I had two jobs. So some people get it and do not deserve it.

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 8:48 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I just think that it is not my place to pass judgement regardless of the other person's actions. Even if I do not agree I guess I hate making my way the "correct" way.
    Bubbie0809

Comment by Bubbie0809 (original poster) at 7:59 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I see what you're saying, but in the cases that I'm thinking of, where I've applied that word to a person, it wasn't based on rumors about them or anything like that. They came to me, told me about their actions, and asked for my opinion. I think if a person asks you for their opinion, then they are basically asking you to pass judgment, kwim?

Now, I'm not saying it's right to, say, walk down the street and say, look at that woman in the mini skirt, she's a slut, or that woman in the bar, flirting with 3 guys, she must be a slut, or whatever. What those women do or don't do isn't any of my business. But if you come back from a funeral and tell me all about how depressed your dh is, how he won't talk to you, etc, and want my advice, and I say he probably just needs time to grieve, and you reply with no, I think it's because I told him about _ (see above post), then asked about it, then they asked for my opinion, kwim?
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:05 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• with you on the soapbox i just wonder why ppl are so judgemental?
    proudmom611

Answer by proudmom611 at 11:31 AM on Feb. 6, 2011