What would you wear?

I've had experience with this participating in and running a charity event and I'm wondering what others think. An event that we've found that works really well for charity fundraising is getting people messy - particularly slimed with like nickelodeon slime and/or hit with pies in the face. Of course the volunteer gets totally messy and so does their outfit. However it sort of makes sense, and I've now seen it in practice, that you can raise more money if the volunteer is dressed up in a nice, clean outfit, with makeup/hair done nicely. The more dressed up the better, especially when the outfit is really fashionable. So I'm wondering, if you volunteered to get slimed and pied, would you be willing to dress up: wear something nice (fashionable outfit, preferably with heels) and put a lot of effort into your appearance, in an effort to raise more money? 

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:37 AM on Feb. 6, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• It would depend on what the charity was for, how "nice" was nice (basically, how expensive would my outfit have to be), and would the items that I was being covered with be able to come out of the clothes, and how much more money for the charity we're talking about.

Also, I think it could be a good idea for the charity organizer to offer to have, as an expense for the event, to cover the cleaning costs of the outfits. A lot of people might decline the offer, and say for the charity to just keep the money, but it would still be good to offer it.

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 7:53 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• How nice your outfit would have to be.... That's basically up to you! When I say nice I basically just mean that it looks like you put some effort into your appearance, and you don't look like you prepared to get messy and wore a crappy outfit. Pies are whipped cream so they will wash out, and the green "nickelodeon" slime does wash out as well from my experience.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:11 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Honestly, then if you're talking do my hair, makeup, and put on a skirt and blouse, then yes, I would do it. If you were talking about, say, put on a cocktail dress or formal gown, then probably not. kwim :-)

(btw - I've done this sort of fund raiser before, too, for children's things, and my dh has done it at work - he's military - where all the Senior Enlisted and a lot of the Officers were bid on who got to hit them with a pie to raise money for Navy Marine Corp Relief Society - they made good money, too!)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:15 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• That's exactly what I mean! Haha

That's really cool that you've done something like that before - how did it go? Here we are thinking more than pies, we were thinking of using green slime and sliming people, which is more crazy haha! But funnier too :)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:24 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• As long as what ever it was would come out sure I would dress nice to raise more money.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 8:31 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• lol! We did pies, but it was all sorts of stuff - catchup, mustard, chocolate syrup, whipped cream, sprinkles, cherries, you name it. Then whoever won got to go build their own pies, putting whatever they wanted on it :-)

The last time they did it, it raised about $700, which, considering it's a small command and there was only about 3 or 4 people who got pied that time, it wasn't too bad.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:33 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Did you get pied? Or just your husband? Those pies sound disgusting though! Haha
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:45 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I absolutely would! I have a few dresses that are able to be machine-washed, and if I didn't I would buy one. Charity is important, what's a ruined (potentially) dress and some mascara in the eye? Not important compared to helping others who need it.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:28 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I've been pied for other events, but this last time was just for the Active Duty to be pied - lol, the first time here, I won the bidding and got to pie him. The second time, the bidding was all done at work and stuff, so the pies were all by the Sailors.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:52 AM on Feb. 6, 2011