12 wko puppy is growling at us when we go to pick her up?

she is serious! We crate her when she does this. She also will hang on our pants as we walk. I have told the kids to just stop walking and ignore her.I am getting fed up!!!The growling crap really gets to me! Any ideas? She starts puppy class in 4 wks.

pitbull4me

Asked by pitbull4me at 7:42 AM on Feb. 6, 2011 in Pets

• I would suggest taking the puppy to the vet, just to make sure there is nothing wrong with her. The fact that she growls when you pick her up, maybe something inside is bothering her. Also I would not punish her with the crate. The crate is supposed to be a place where she will wan to to go. After ruling out nothing is wrong by the vet, if the growls continue- as soon as the puppy growls say no- look at the puppy so she will know you mean what you say. It is great that you are starting puppy class, so they will be able to help you deal with these issues. I hope some of this may help.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 8:04 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• As for the hanging onto the kids pants, remove her immediately and say no-distract her with a toy. Maybe getting some of her high energy out by playing with toys throwing them across the floor, taking walks. If you watch the show its me or the dog this show will give some great helpful tips for training dogs. I hope this helps.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 8:08 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• sorry-forgot to mention she is a terrier mix-her mom was a boston and her dad? thinking schnauzer. we also got her at 6wks. I begged them to keep the pups at least another 2 wks but he said if I didn't take her someone else would! he was feeding them Alpo adult can food and did his own shots! Mom showed up on property and had pups 2 wks later.
    pitbull4me

Comment by pitbull4me (original poster) at 7:56 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Completely agree with Kelly, vet asap.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 8:29 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• It sounds as though she needs to see a vet. Something hurting or not right.

Answer by Bmat at 8:43 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• she was just at the vet, healthy as a horse. so, that is why I am doing crate for her. we have a small house and this way she is away from us and safe. she is told no when her misbehaviors happen and ignored. she goes on 2 walks a day(for her energy), plays with our other dog in our fenced in 3/4 acre a couple of times a day, we all play ball with her in our hallway(she returns very nicely), she has puzzle toys to play with in the living room and in her crate. I thank you for the replies.
    pitbull4me

Comment by pitbull4me (original poster) at 9:21 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Take her back to the vet and ask them to do a CBC (complete blood count).
    She was too young to leave her mom so she wasn't properly socialized. Crating a dog to punish is wrong. It defeats every purpose of crate training.
    When she growls, yelp back at her. Like a puppy would with it's siblings, or a mother would if a puppy is getting too rough. She is trying to dominate you and you need to stop that fast.
    Try NILIF (nothing in life is free). Basically, she has to do something to get something. Sit before she eats, sit before you take her out for a walk....keep her off all furniture as well.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 10:46 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• will call vet in the am. we do the yelp when she bites, doesn't phase her. we give her toys in place of whatever she is biting that she shouldn't. I am well aware that 6 wks was too young, they would not keep the pups longer and I knew she would be better off with us. have started nilif, she is starting to catch on. I have never had a pup like this, so it is taking some adjusting on my part. my over zealous Fila is laidback compared to her!
    pitbull4me

Comment by pitbull4me (original poster) at 2:02 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• 1) The puppy was WAY to young to be separated from the mother so is not socialized well.
    2) The breed you described can be snippy like that, growl and bite and chews things. Terriers are known to be like that and are stubborn when it comes to training. I suggest getting books on the breeds the puppy is mixed with so you better understand their personality.
    3) Was the puppy every dropped? Even by accident? It could be frightened by a bad experience.
    4) NEVER EVER EVER use the crate for discipline!!!!!!!! It is to be a safe haven, a home, somewhere they feel secure NOT TO BE USED AS PUNISHMENT. You can remove the puppy from the area by getting a gate and separating it from the kids, maybe the bathroom, or the kitchen BUT NEVER PUT THE PUPPY IN A CRATE AFTER DISCIPLINING IT FOR DOING SOMETHING WRONG.
    5) Dogs get scared when something comes at them from above, I suggest looking into touch training and don't just march in and
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 2:04 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• snatch the dog off the ground.

Sorry, but she is behaving this way because you don't know what you're doing with the dog, it is not the dogs fault but yours. Get books and educate yourself so you don't turn your dog into a little terror and the dog ends up being put down because you failed it. I don't mean to sound harsh or a bitch, but you have to start learning and educating yourself now and NOT a few weeks from now when you beginning the training. Training starts from day one, not weeks from now.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 2:06 PM on Feb. 6, 2011