what age would you consider buying bunkbeds?

as far as safety is concerned.

i have three daughters, two of them are 13 months apart and share a room. i was thinking of doing it when theyre 4 and 5, but right now theyre only 2 and 1 so i have a long time to consider it. the new house were moving into, the bedrooms are tiny. it would be nice to be resourceful about space when theyre older so they have more room to play in there.

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 8:16 AM on Feb. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

• I am just now buying some for my youngest two. They are 5 & 10. I think it depends on your kids, how they sleep, and all of that. Mine are rollers.

Answer by gemgem at 8:18 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• My five year old still sleeps like that and he wants a bunk bed bad, I'm just to scared to get him one. I found a mini bunk bed at walmart.com that just has drawers, desk and shelves underneath and its not too high off the ground, I think I'm going to get him. Its called the Charleston Storage Loft Bed.
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 8:23 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I think aged 4 or older would be a good time for bunk beds for kids. That seems to be when most people I've known have gotten them for their kids. In the meantime, since you'll be moving into a house with smaller rooms, why not consider getting a trundle bed. It would take up less room because the lower bed could just be pushed under the other bed during the day and pulled out when it is bedtime. Just a thought. :-)
    mybritt

Answer by mybritt at 8:24 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I think you can buy bunk beds with a rail on it. Or buy it separate.

Answer by louise2 at 8:26 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• At 4 for me. THat is when we bought my oldest one and I am seriously considering buying my youngest one, well loft bed. They both could climb up and down the ladder safely, and there were higher side rails on the bed so no falling out, before I considered it.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 8:38 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Age 6 is when we did.

Answer by Bmat at 8:42 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Sorry, I know for some it's a space issue- but personally, I would not be able to sleep at night unless there was layers of padding next to it, for fear the child on the top bunk would fall out. (no matter what the age) But hey, I'm a worry wart- that's me. (If you have to, the youngest should be at least 5 y/o)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:30 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Never. Dh was 7 when he rolled out of his and split his head open on a bed side table thng. He went back to sleep, and the next day his mom walked in to find him covered in blood. He was lucky it iddn't need stitches!
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 9:10 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• 5 is okay. But be sure to have a good side rail.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:10 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• We're doing them this year and they'll be 4 and 5. We're getting a very high quality one where it'll be nearly impossible for our son to fall out.
    mom23boys679

Answer by mom23boys679 at 9:13 AM on Feb. 6, 2011