For once I agree with radio hosts Opie and Anthony, how about you?

They say parents these days don't allow our kids to be kids anymore. Not letting them play outside or being out of their sites for even 2 seconds. The media has got us so afraid that there are bad people just lurking to take one of them. They admit it does happen but not as often as they try to make it seem. They also jokingly said we have to sacrifice a few but that's just life. THAT I DO NOT AGREE WITH AND THE FACT THEY ARE MAKING LITE OF THIS IS ONE OF THE REASONS WHY I NEVER AGREE WITH THEM. Anyways, what do you think of parents being too protective of their kids? Remember when we were kids, we got home from school, did homework and played outside for hours while mom made dinner? We knew all the other kids in our neighborhood and other parents knew us. If a kid didn't come outside, we knew they were grounded for something and that was a bad thing. By bedtime we were actually tired and sleepy. Not over stimilated from playing DSi all day.

keisha613

Asked by keisha613 at 8:41 AM on Feb. 6, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Most crimes against kids happen by someone they know. Grandpa, uncle, the babysitter, or neighbor. Stranger danger is rare compared to the danger posed by people you know. It is sad children within walking distance of school can't for fear of the unknown, that they can't ride their bikes in the neighborhood to a friend's home, or walk to the local gas station for some candy. We are raising our children to be fearful and we do raise our children based on fear - most of us. Things happen to children who also live with extremely protective parents. That's the bummer of it. Stranger danger is random. The real dangers are mostly when it is not so random. It is hard to decide what are the things that are reasonable and what is not so much. I do know that in order to raise an independent self sufficient child he first has to do things on his own.  Hard stuff.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 1:26 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I agree.
    You need to set limits for you child, but you also need to teach them how to be safe. Many years ago there was a book called "Protecting the Gift" by Gavin de Becker. It gave many good ideas on how to teach our children to be safe instead of hovering over them.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:50 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I couldnt imagine letting my kids do some of the things I was aloud to do ( riding my bike around town, taking walks by myself, walking home from school ) ....

I am over protective but I also have small kids and I would rather be an over protective parent than one who has a missing child.

I would love to beable to let my kids have a care free life and let them walk to their friends house or even home from school but it isnt happening right now ( maybe when they are alot older) .... but when you live in a small town and there actually is a CONVICTED sex offender and molesters around every corner, you do have to be overprotective.
    2lilbumblebees

Answer by 2lilbumblebees at 12:03 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I see your point (& theirs) to some extent. But let's face it- we hear bad things in the news, (or your papers crime report logs) we have access to a long list of sexual predators living in our area (even on our street) etc. It's perfectly natural to want to protect our kids from that. It's not like it was back in the day. Wish it was tho.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:52 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I agree to a point as well.....but times have changed. People do bad things to our children and while we need to let them be kids, we need to be vigilant too.

Yes I played in my yard everyday growing up, snow and all....but we also had a huge metal gate that locked and 7 foot tall fences around the yard, so I was pretty safe in there.

My house now doesn't have a "back" yard, it's a side yard with no fence other than an old fashioned wooden criss cross (civil war era type) fence.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 9:24 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Bad things have always happened, there is just more media coverage now. My son goes outside to play. He knows not to leave the yard and other kids in the neighborhood know they can come over and play if my son is outside. I do keep an eye on him from inside the house. Yeah, he is more restricted than I was at his age but not by a whole lot. He just can't roam the neighborhood as much as I did. He is also still young, when he gets a bit older I will give him more freedom.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 9:34 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I agree
    2boyz2pray4

Answer by 2boyz2pray4 at 3:48 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I agree with frogdawg (cute name). I was way more protective of my kids then my daughter is now. Not to say she isn't protective but she just let her son spend the night with a friend that they have know for a few years but never been to their house. He came home starving and thirsty. He had ask for a drink and they said they didn't have anything. They didnt feed him and their house is so filthy he said he never wants to go back. Luckily he had a cell phone and called his mom to pick him up early. Oh yes, they where teaching their mentally challenged to daughter to cuss when he was there and he didnt like that. I always had the other kids come to my house so I new my kids where ok. lol
    Dianakk

Answer by Dianakk at 4:48 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• i grew up with a mother who literally would follow me everywhere. i was 18 before i could go to the mall alone, i never slept at anyone house b/c omg! there are people in the bushes waiting to get me. so as soon as i was 20, i realized, this is my life, and i went crazy!!! drunk everyday and night, tried drugs, men, everything! i know if my mother wasn't like that when i was younger, i wouldn't have an alcoholic by 22, pregnant at 23, and in rehab at 24.
    my point is, lay off of your kids. i think helicopter parents aren't to secure with the way they raised their kids. not bashing, being mean, but from my experience, if my mother had laid off, and let me be a kid, and have my own experiences, i wouldn't have done most of what i did. on the other hand, i wouldn't have my son either. so.......
    mama2bof2

Answer by mama2bof2 at 11:00 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Absolutely. How can you expect an adult to be successful if they've never had practice at making their own decisions and problem solving on their own. Parents are so busy overprotecting their children that they don't get a chance to grown on their own. Of course NO ONE wants anything bad to happen to their child or anyone else's, but neither did our parents and they still let us ride our bikes, walk to school, hang out with friends. Times aren't really any different, we're just exposed to more now.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 12:06 PM on Feb. 6, 2011