so need some legal advice?

I know a woman I work with who is planning on leaving the state so she doesn't have to serve her ten months of jail time on a felony charge. My question is am I legally required to let the police know? I know most of you will tell me to keep my nose out of it and I am inclined to but I want to know what I am required to do legally.

She told me the jail time was because she had repeatedly driven her car with a suspended license.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:00 AM on Feb. 6, 2011 in Relationships

• Is she planning on staying gone forever? B/C they will issue a bench warrant for her, so when/if she returns, she will be arrested, jailed & face additional charges for leaving. They probably wont take action ahead of time, but just deal w/ her when she comes back. You have to do what you feel is right tho.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:07 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I do not know. But does she relize her fleeing will not make it go away. It is likely to increase the sentence. Oh yeah, is she going to be driving when she flees?
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:08 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• She is planning on not coming back.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:09 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• she is going to fly
    Anonymous

• I don't believe you are legally required; maybe morally obligated? Truly, she was driving on a suspended license, not an ax-murderer. When she goes to get a license in another state she will be caught. It's up to you - what does your heart tell you to do?
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:33 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I am a paralegal, and no your are not required to tell the cops. that is a moral issue within yourself. do what you feel you need to do!
    Teresa2266

Answer by Teresa2266 at 9:50 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• it is just talk right now
    you are not helpungher flee
    you are not housing a felon

imo, no, not a legal issue
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:06 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• good so I'm not legally required to let the police know, which is what i wanted to know. And i am inclined to stay out of it. I'm just sad to see her make what is a bad situation worse. And she will most likely flee, she would go in for 10 months and have to leave her seven year old with his father and his grandparents which is a whole other issue, just a bad situation with no good resolution.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:11 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• With a bench warrent, if she's pulled over in another state, they've got her, right? So, she'd be caught either way wouldn't she? (getting a new DL, or driving) She hasn't thought this all the way through. She will just rack up additional charges.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 11:50 AM on Feb. 6, 2011