How do you get poofy hair to lay flat?

I have tried a flat iron but I'm not very good with it. I can only use a certain kind of shampoo because of a skin condition. I have to use Head and Shoulders Intensive Treatment. Anything else makes me itch real bad. So what do I do? How can I get my hair to lay flat?

matthew9_22

Asked by matthew9_22 at 9:06 AM on Feb. 6, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• Can you use the flattening and straightening products? When you are not good at something the solution is practise.

tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:09 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Blow drying with a flat paddle brush will smooth and straighten, it just takes a long time. You could also try oils after your hair is dry; Aveda makes a product (can't remember the name, but it's in their Brilliant line) that is all-natural - all you need is a little bit and your hair will be shiny and straight/flat.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:24 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I agree with tootoobusy, practice! I have poofy, frizzy hair too. I love my flat iron, it has saved me and i have no idea what life was like before it! I also use a spray for thermal styling that helps hold a hair style without it being stiff. http://kenra.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ID=34. Here's the link! They make a lot of great products. I know you may not be able to use them but they sell a 2oz size to try. Seems like a lot of money but if it works it worth the money. I use mine every other day and I go through the big bottle about every 3 months. You can also go to a hair stylist and have them show you how to use the iron. Most are willing to do it for free, but some might charge. Worth the money too!!! Go to an up scale salon, they seem more willing. Get a good flat iron too. I have tried the cheaper ones and they dont seem to work as well. I spent about $100 for mine but I have had it for 1
    whitefamily

Answer by whitefamily at 9:39 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• sorry it trailed off..... I have had my iron for 10 years!
    whitefamily

Answer by whitefamily at 9:40 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I use Deep Shine by Rusk.  It makes my hair lay down and adds shine.  But you only need a small dab.  And I mean a dab that is maybe a 1/4" round.  A tube will last forever.  GL

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=rusk+deep+shine&rlz=1R2GGLJ_enUS366&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=13209279471091310321&ei=kbNOTaTyII7TgQfFm8XzDw&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CDgQ8wIwAg#

elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:47 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• straighten you hair and use oils if your have a local beauty store they can recommend you the best products
    tearb

Answer by tearb at 2:53 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Try Morrocan Hair Oil ~
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 11:38 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• try a horse hair (natural) brush,if you can get your SO todo it 100 strokes every night it is very relxing and great for your hair
    firelites

Answer by firelites at 3:18 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Thanks!
    matthew9_22

Comment by matthew9_22 (original poster) at 8:20 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Ask Dawn Gallagher at www.dawngallagher.com. She is a mom, an author, and a top model who has tons of natural beauty secrets to share.
    rosiemendo

Answer by rosiemendo at 10:38 AM on Feb. 8, 2011