Introverted Kid in sports?

DH and I are trying to find some activities for my son this spring/summer. If you want the background on my son, just search my questions. I made a post about him the other day and how he's more of a loner and gets along better with adults than children.

I'm thinking sports may be too much for him, instead taking him to swim lessons instead and maybe (this is a big maybe) gymnastics? What do you think? Would you put your extra shy child in gymnastics? He loves to swim so I'm thinking it might benefit him.

mom23boys679

Asked by mom23boys679 at 9:12 AM on Feb. 6, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• He's going to be 5 in April.
    mom23boys679

Comment by mom23boys679 (original poster) at 9:12 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Karate may be a good idea.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:15 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• That is a great idea, tootoobusy. DH has a black belt, so I'll ask him about signing him up. He hasn't took it in years though, so maybe he could even go with him at first?
    mom23boys679

Comment by mom23boys679 (original poster) at 9:16 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Any form of martial arts is good or even soccor or hockey.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 9:27 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Swimming sounds great especially if he likes it already. Talk to him and see what he wants to do. Present all the ideas to him and tell him he has to pick one. Then he has had a say in what he will be doing. BTW my son took karate and gained a lot of confidence. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:29 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• hmm i dont know about a boy my dd was super shy (at about age 7) and i signed her up for cheerleading and know at 13 she is the most out going child i know....can you sign him up for mini camps and see what he enjoys the most and go from there?
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 11:04 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I know in my community there is a program called "Mad Science" which is fun, promotes learning, and does not require him to always be part of a team which may overwhelm him.
    http://www.madscience.org/

this is their description:
    Mad Science® is the world’s leading science enrichment provider. We deliver unique, hands-on science experiences for children that are as entertaining as they are educational. Mad Science is proud to introduce millions of children to a world of discovery while sparking their imagination.
    valerieokay

Answer by valerieokay at 11:32 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• The world is made up of all sorts of personalities. Introverted and outgoing. There is nothing wrong with a child who is quiet and more private. Which is what introverted means. People can be introverted and not be shy. They just are more private. I like to think of them as having really good boundaries compared to some who will tell you their entire business.  It is not a horrible thing to be shy unless your child feels bad, left out, and has a lower self esteem.  If being shy lends itself to creating a world where your child feels uncomfortable - then act.  But if a shy child is perfectly comfortable no reason to fix what is not broken.  For a child who is uncomfortable, brainstorm with that child what will work best for them.  Sometimes swim teams, karate or dance are good options because it isn't so much a group thing as much as it is about personal improvement with other people around.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:42 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Involving a very shy child in team sports like basketball or football may be too intense because it does require a different skill set - one that most kids on that team already have. Starting out small and talking to your child about what activity they would like to do is the first step. Perhaps it is an art class, dance, modeling lessons, or a local community science class. The child has to take the lead. Many a shy and uncomfortable child have dropped out of team sports because they were not ready. Leaving the team, the parents, and the child frustrated. Celebrate your child's personality and recognize the strengths. We do not need to change shy or introverted children into outgoing social kings and queens.  We do want to have them comfortable and self confident.  Big difference.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:46 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I never said anything is wrong with it. My husband and I are both introverted and anxious people. I'm not trying to change him. I just want him involved in something other than being at home all the time. That's all. Please don't read into this as something else. You are misunderstood.
    mom23boys679

Comment by mom23boys679 (original poster) at 11:54 AM on Feb. 6, 2011