Can I ruin sauce/gravy??

I bought two small cans of tomato paste, three large cans of tomato sauce and a large can of diced tomatoes. Can I just mix them all up in a pot and heat?? Im going to add garlic, salt, pepper and parsley. Do I need both cans of tomato paste or just a few tablespoons?? This is only for meatball sandwiches. Can I ruin it ? lol Give me some guidance please! I wont have any time to go to the store so I have to work with what I bought. TIA!!!

Steph319

Asked by Steph319 at 9:40 AM on Feb. 6, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Start the sauce 3-4 hours before you serve it. Get it to boiling and then reduce heat so it simmers. During the last hour put the meatballs in.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:27 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Mix them together, and simmer on low for awhile (to get the excess water out). Add basil, garlic, salt, and a little sugar (Italian grandmother's secret). Oregano as well if you have it. Keep tasting after adding the spices - they are going to make the difference between bad and good sauce.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:43 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Thanks!! If the party is around 5-6 when should I put it on?? Should I start now and let it simmer all day or wait till later?
    Steph319

Comment by Steph319 (original poster) at 9:45 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• yeah you can ruin it by burning it if you don't keep stirring it.
    tpaangel8122

Answer by tpaangel8122 at 9:47 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• will the taste be bad if it doesnt burn? How much tomato paste do I use?
    Steph319

Comment by Steph319 (original poster) at 9:48 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• hmm I don't think it would need to cook all day but you might want it done by at the latest 4 and can re warm it for the party. not positive though lol
    SaphiraJFire

Answer by SaphiraJFire at 9:48 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I would start with only one can of the paste and see if the sauce gets to your liking. You can always add the other later on. I would start it about three-four hours before serving.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:49 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Great! Should I add the meatballs immediately and let them cook in the gravy? Im going to partially cook them either in a pan or in the broiler
    Steph319

Comment by Steph319 (original poster) at 9:51 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• you do need to stir it constantly so it don't burn and so it stays the right consistency.
    SaphiraJFire

Answer by SaphiraJFire at 9:51 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• it depends on how strong you want them to taste in the sauce, my mom hates the strong meat taste so cooks them in water some. my DH and I love the strong meat taste cook them in the dishes. we are using some for a soup tonight lol
    SaphiraJFire

Answer by SaphiraJFire at 9:53 AM on Feb. 6, 2011