Remember FDR- His New Deal plans werent liked by all- but some are still in place today

Regardless of how you feel about the direction our country is headed, let's remember the difficult decisions facing FDR after the Great Depression (dont see what was so "great" about it- lol) His New Deal was considered very dramatic/drastic steps to help turn the country around. While some were later abolished, many still exist today. (ie: FCC, FDIC, NLRB, FHA & Soc. Sec., just to name a few) I think it's safe to say that the same will be said about this administration. (*And NO I'm not comparing Obama to FDR- just the circumstances) Thoughts?

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 10:40 AM on Feb. 6, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Unfortunately, IMO four years isn't long enough to change much. There's just no quick fix.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 10:52 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Most of the programs that are still around today were never intended to be, by anyone, including FDR. They are here because we let people become dependent upon them and cannot get rid of them without making a bigger mess. They are the methadone and we are the heroin addicts still relying on it decades later instead of weening off drugs completely.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:43 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Most of the New Deal Plans that FDR implemented did NOTHING to help the country out of the Great Depression. What got us out of the Great Depression was the US's mobilization to help the war effort.
    Most of the plans that he put in place and are in place today are oversights put in place to try to prevent certain events from occuring again.
    I'm not saying we need a war to get us back on track, but it seems that Obama is not learning from FDR's lesson that spending more and increasing the deficit didn't help the first time around and it most likey won't help this time either.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:46 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• . What got us out of the Great Depression was the US's mobilization to help the war effort.

That did not do it either. Times were hard for a while after the war. There was a huge influx of men coming home from the war needing jobs. What got us out was American spirit and innovation. THAT is what the country has lost.

If war got us out, then logic then would be for the US and Japan (or any other country) to invest billions in ships and take them out in the ocean and sink them.
    FDR's social engineering experiments cost him congress and even much of his own party. That is why he tried to pack the courts. He extended the depression for years, while the rest of the world overcame.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 11:10 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• layh41407: we have 2 wars going on right now-obviously they arent helping us -they are financially draining us!
    ___________________
    Please tell me you aren't seriously comparing what is going on in the Middle East to World War II. Really, there is NO comparison. We are not as engaged in the Middle East now as we were in the 1940's. Almost EVERY industry retooled their factories and began producing products to aid in winning the war. Yes, what is going on now is not pleasant, but let's be serious, it's NOT World War II.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 11:00 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• we have 2 wars going on right now-obviously they arent helping us

Because we're not relying on ourselves to create everything we need for them like we did back then. Women are already in the workforce, and most of the manufactured goods we need are made somewhere else. During WWII, women went to work for the first time to run the factories left vacant by their drafted husbands. Our war has created no job openings, because we send men right out of high school, before they ever had a job to leave vacant. Women are already working, so they wouldn't be filling those jobs anyway, if the jobs existed because they hadn't been sent to Mexico and Asia. We aren't sacrificing and saving every tire and shred of bacon grease for the war effort. We're consuming foreign made products at the same rate (or faster) than we were before the wars.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:00 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Retirees get screwed over all the time, (benefits being cut, entire pensions lost, etc) thus the continued need for SS. No easy ans. here.

***
    Oh, but there ARE easy answers to certain social entitlement programs!! It's just that Democrats and liberals REFUSE to stick their necks out to suggest what COULD be done to keep the currently unsustainable programs from going completely belly up!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:52 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• My point about being at war NOW as opposed to WWII was the FINANCIAL Costs- For Heaven's sakes, they LOST Billions of US dollars that are still not accounted for (in the ME)

As they did (comparably for inflation) in WWII. That war was far from free.

hen we have the HUMAN toll- these poor guys are being sent over 3 or 4 times for a year at a time.

WWII they fought until the war was over. There was no breaks unless you were killed or severely injured. My Dad went and never came home once for two and a half years. THAT was because the war ended.

Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 1:05 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• FDR was a progressive who thought the gov't was suppose to 'take care' of the citizens like parents do children. His programs were to be 'temporary' to help those in desperate need survive the "not so Great' Depression. Progressives that followed him continued the programs until people began to feel entitled to them.....hence entitlements. I don't know what I would have done in his shoes, but I do know I wish his programs has an end built in that couldn't be changed.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:50 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• OK, I'll let the majority of historians and economists that agree that the Depression did not end until the beginning of WW II know that YOU disagree with them.

Actually the majority of them are not stupid enough to believe the war did it. I know not just from reading but from having parents who lived it and many of the other older people I have known. As well as reading history. Do you have any clue how hard it was DURING the war? Rationing, you could not buy such things as a stove. My Mom had to deal with a leaking coal stove (coal was also in shortage because the war effort)because EVERYTHING went to the war effort. YOU have no clue.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 4:43 PM on Feb. 6, 2011