Did you realize? (Reagan)

I always hear Republican's talk about how amazing and much loved Reagan is/was and from the same people we hear how Obama has such low approval ratings and is so disliked. I was just reading this news story and was shocked to see that Reagan's lowest approval rating (in 83) was actually lower then Obama's lowest (so far). Did you know this? Why was this if he was such an amazing president?

Not talking sh@t, just too young to remember the details.
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20030789-503544.html

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Feb. 6, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Are some people really trying to imply that everyone, or even most, people that are out of work are unemployable? Wow.
    I remember the Reagan years, especially the latter half. He was the original tax and spend. Sure, he cut taxes, but not spending. Under Reagan we spent more and more...plus many of his actual spending cuts ended up costing more in the long run. He was no saint to say nothing of the Iran Contra scandal, which was horrifying.

I hate all this conservative spin, with many people saying he was so great and the original modern conservative. He was nothing of the kind, and if he was doing the same things now with a "D" by his name he would be completely vilified. Sisteract knows her stuff. Take a look at the facts and see if they can reconcile with the rhetoric.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 1:49 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Every president, even the most beloved, has had periods of low approval ratings. I don't judge presidents on their approval ratings, I judge them based on their performance. During Reagan's presidency the country experienced an economic boom - during Obama's we are in a recession. Reagan was a great leader with sound fiscal policies.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:54 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• But we were in a recession when Obama started.

As we were with Reagan. Ever heard of the gas shortage?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:03 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Were we or were we not in a recession with Reagan?

We STARTED in a recession. Unlike Obama, the recession ended under Reagan.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:07 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Wow, can you conservatives answer one question without attacking others?

You mean like the smartass "are you psychic" bit? If you open a door, people are going to walk through it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:40 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• We have an historical record to look at with Reagan. We can see the issues leading up to his presidency and the results following his successes. We see what has lead to the issues of the 110 Congress leading to this recession. PBO hasn't looked to the past and studied what Reagan did to end the recession until now. He wants to be associated with Reagan as much as possible. He carries the book (don't know if he opened it), he evokes Reagan in discussions, but he doesn't take a stand and do the hard things Reagan did to turn the economy around. He is Reagan's polar opposite at this time. We will have to wait for history to let us see how it all stacks up. It doesn't look good right now.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 11:45 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Hate to break your bubble, but Reagans conservative policies transformed the United States from the largest creditor nation to the largest debtor nation in just a few years.
    Working people’s share of the benefits from increased productivity took a sudden turn down. Reagan wasn't a friend to the working class. Unemployment was HIGH, interest rates on homes were 15% I know, my husband was out of work at the time, and we almost lost our home. Tax breaks to the rich, kept wealth at the top, forcing working people to spend their savings. Thank God we had a hugh savings, unlike many people today.
    Justmom223

Answer by Justmom223 at 11:08 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Are you a psychic?

No, I just gave you a pretty picture illustrating it. Reagan took office and it was over by the end of his 2nd year. Obama's on year 3 with no end in sight.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:18 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I could post all kinds of graphs and facts about what Reagan inherited from Carter and how he ACTUALLY cleaned up the mess (unlike Obama's approach to "cleaning up" after Bush), by YOU can conduct your OWN Google search to obtain the exact same info. If you are REALLY interested in learning about past presidential economic policy, you will take it upon yourself to learn more. However,  I'm willing get you started:

LINK

Oh, and IF (note the emphasis) Obama can do THIS in 2 years, he'll have earned my respect! LOL

(1984 election results that gave way for Reagan's second term)

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:20 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• The one thing Reagan did do was he practiced bi-partisionship! Something we need in America today!
    Justmom223

Answer by Justmom223 at 11:20 AM on Feb. 6, 2011