My 16 month old son is on Singulair and Zyrtec...

I read a previous questions about concerns with Singulair causing mood changes and appetite loss. My pediatrician didn't recomend trying anything else before the Singulair and my son does not present severe asthmatic symptoms so I'm not really sure why she gave it to him. I was glad to have a doctor even try a medicine since previously all I would get told was he just has bad allergies. Can anyone explain in more detail the changes they saw in their child of the same age so I can make sure I'm not over-reacting or not reacting fast enough???

aidengrant07

Asked by aidengrant07 at 6:10 PM on Nov. 16, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• singulair is actually one of the safer medicines the side effects that they say could happen are very rare and if do occur go away within a week to two my daughter started taking it at 1 yrs and does fine on it just because your child doesn't show asthmatic symptoms doesn't mean thats why they gave it to them singulair has the histamines and other chemicals in it designed for indoor and outdoor allergies it does have to build up in the system so make sure your child doesn't miss any doses and the singulair is also used when the child has frequent sinus infections cause it helps keeps sinusitis away as well if an sinus infection does occur it usually doesn't get as bad or last as long when the child is taking singulair
    one_white_rose

Answer by one_white_rose at 7:06 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• by the way the only side effect that happened with my daughter was she became very hyper for the first couple of hours and then it subsided and ate a little less for the first two weeks but after two weeks she was eating normal again and it took about 4 months for the hyperness from the meds to go away but it finally did
    one_white_rose

Answer by one_white_rose at 7:10 PM on Nov. 16, 2008