Car died....vent and question.

Our van that holds all of our children when we go places, died this morning. About 4wks/1month ago it started acting funny...it would jerk when slowing down past 30mph and started stalling whenever we stopped and tried to accelerate.
He's not a car person, but my dad is, and my dad told me to tell him to call him when he was free sometime so they could talk about it and pick each others brains about it. My husband has yet to do that.
My dad told him to call around to places to see if we could get a free estimate....and it was like pulling teeth to do that (the only reason I haven't is because I don't know the car lingo, or understand all that stuff). It was like PULLING TEETH to get him to do that.....and the only place he called was auto zone (where he has a friend that works) and the Chrysler dealership. Well of course a dealership is going to charge you, and some other places too....but guess what those were the only two he called. Nobody else.
He's put it off and put it off and now the car has died so we can't make it to church today. I have a class that I HAVE to be at and now we're going to have to ask for rides.
I am beyond frustrated. And now he's complaining about this "piece of crap"...(worse language).....
This "piece of crap" my parents bought us so we could be able to drive around in one vehicle......this "piece of crap" car he's complained about since day one.
What am I supposed to do? I'll take the reigns on anything that needs to be done, but then he acts like I KNOW NOTHING. But yet he won't do it himself. He's complaining now that we have to use our tax return to buy a car...
WELL YEAH DUH.....that's what the rest of the world does....makes due with what they have. I'm tired of his bad attitude and complaints and lack of effort with ANYTHING except his schooling....and we're currently unemployed.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on Feb. 6, 2011 in Relationships

• Can you ask your dad for help with the van? Your DH shou;d be putting forth more effort, but since he's not that's what I would do. It also sounds like there are some other issues as well - have you talked to your DH about his lack of effort about anything other than his own priorities (school)? I'm sorry you are going through this.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 11:07 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• That sounds like your fuel pump or your fuel filter which if its your fuel pump thats about a 300ish fix and a fuel filter is under 100 and you can get it changed at lube places. I'm sorry about your vehicle two days after I purchased my truck my fuel pump went out on a busy freeway so I understand =(
    bhoward87

Answer by bhoward87 at 11:07 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I would call your dad and take on the responsibility. Even if you don't know the lingo, your dad may. Between the two of you, get if fixed or start the process.

If DH wants to complain, I would tell him at least I didn't just sit on my arse and do nothing but gripe about it. I went out and DID something to fix the problem. He can either help out or shut up!
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:08 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• okay so if you guys are both unemployed than he needs to get off his but and go flook around. No places really do this for. so goodluck

and the whole piece of crap isnt right afre his parents helping???
    Bree_vee25

Answer by Bree_vee25 at 11:10 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• By the way, my dad lives over 2000 miles away from us.
    I'm so frustrated with this situation. I guess I have to take the reigns.....I'm just pissed that I"m doing all the work and he chooses what he wants to do when he wants to do it. I feel totally alone. :(
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:10 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Maybe he's like you and doesn't call bc he doesn't understand car lingo either. Just do it yourself. If there is an argument over it then deal with it but the job will be done. When you call around (even to autozone) they sometimes can recommend a local mechanic with a good reputation and doesn't cost a lot. Where do you live? Maybe some of us know someone in your area you can contact to get it fixed cheap.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:13 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Firestone will do a bumper to bumper check for like $30 or so. A little late now, but for in the future. And, car places are used to women not knowing the lingo. They are used to men not knowing, too. If the men knew it enough, they'd fix it themselves.
    We had a fuel filter go out once. We were out of town, and had to get back (hubby is military). It was a Sunday, and no one had what we needed, which, we weren't sure what exactly it was anyway. We had to borough his parents neighbors extra vehicle because we were a few states away. SUCKED. It was a fuel pump. Freakin fuel pump.
    Let your hubby b*tch. Just do what you know needs to be done, and tell him to either put up, or shut up. He can either stand up and be the man, or sit down and be quiet. Your 'wrong' is at least getting things moving, right? And probably isn't wrong anyway. Sorry you all are having car problems, I know how bad that sucks.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 11:44 AM on Feb. 6, 2011