any cat owners against this?

I would like to have new furniture but my cats will destroy it. they use my furniture for scratching boards. They do have a scratching board. one cat don't use it, the other uses it the most along with my couch. They only way i can have new furniture is getting them declawed or no new furniture. We live in the country and my cats love to climb trees. should I not declaw my cats? now, i just throw a blanket over my couch to hide the rips and several claw nail marks. they have my leather couch and chair DESTROYED. don't have the heart to get rid of them. they belong to my kids as gifts from relatives for their birthday. cats are 3 years old. What to do? They are the most loving pets. I'm a sucker for animals. thanks for all your help!

diamondsarecool

Asked by diamondsarecool at 11:06 AM on Feb. 6, 2011 in Pets

• Have them de-clawed since you can't have it both ways.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Try http://www.softpaws.com/ -- We love them

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:09 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• You can have them de-clawed, you can clip the claws, you can even get claw "covers" (look at Petsmart) or you can get spray that deters cats from whatever you spray it on. Get the spray first and try it out with your current couch to make sure it works, and if your cats stay away, get new furniature and spray it with the spray!

Good luck!
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 11:10 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Start trimming their nails.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:10 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Declaw them and keep them inside, or get rid of them (if you want to have nice furniture.) I'm sorry, I don't know of any way to stop a cat from clawing; even with a scratching post a lot of cats will just scratch at whatever is handy.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 11:10 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• squirt bottle have you tried that? the caps like in the picture above are okay but you have to keep glueing them back on when they fall off. Other than that the only other option is declawing :(
    bhoward87

Answer by bhoward87 at 11:13 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Only declaw if you plan on keeping the 100% inside. If you decide to declaw consider finding vet that preforms the surgery by laser. Also try cat nip on your scratching post. The soft paws are good but need replaced often in some cats. Some cats will chew them off the same day some will leave them alone but they still need replaced every months or so.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:14 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• We do have to keep regluing them, but after we got the hang of it, and he got used to them (only took a few days) we only replace them when the nail naturally sheds, maybe one every two or three weeks.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:15 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• If your cats are going outside and you live in the country, where there are wild animals such as raccoons, squirrels, foxes, possums, etc. I don't think it's a good idea to declaw your cats, they will not be able to protect themselves or get up a tree fast for safety. Try the sprays or soft claws that are suggested above. If you MUST declaw them, I suggest you keep them indoors especially at night. But, for some animals keeping htem inside would make them miserable, like my animals.

Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 11:16 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Oh, please don't get them declawed. Go to www.youtube.com and view some video clips on how cat declawing is done. and i promise you, if you care anything for the feelings of those cats, you will not have them declawed to save furniture. I went to petsmart store and bought me a pr of cat claw clippers about $5.00 and i trim my cat's front claws about once or twice a month, then they are too short and dull to scratch up anything.
    Honda309

Answer by Honda309 at 11:17 AM on Feb. 6, 2011