I can't decide which carseat!

So I am going to do that babiesrus trade in event to get my son a better car seat. I bought him the Safety 1st onside air convertible carseat a few weeks ago it was a great price. His carseat before that was given to me by a friend and was about to expire so I decided to buy a new one since I had the money and was going to expire in a year anyways. I had a Graco comfortsport the first time(after the infant carseat) and let me tell you I loved it! I mean it wasnt the most expensive or anything like that but hey it rear faced until 35lbs I think and the harness is what I loved-so easy to use and tighten tight . Was always easy to install with my mighty tite too. I never had a problem with that carseat. Then I got what I currently have is the Safety 1st onside air the one that is blue and cheaper than the airprotect one. Just seemed to fit what I wanted it rear faced up to 40lbs and the forward facing was the same weight which i liked because that meant keeping my son rear facing as long as the seat would be good for. My main goal is to keep him rear facing until he is too tall or weighs too much and since he only weighs 25lbs now and is almost 2 1/2 years old height will probably come first. The reason I hate this current carseat is only because of the harness and adjusting. I love the look, feel and everything else about it. It happened to me a few times where the straps on the back that goes on the hooks and tightens when you pull the strap, they come off the hooks! Then also it tightens crooked all the time and not tight enough. I just dont feel my son is safe in it. I want to get one that is safe, rear faces to at least 40lbs and has a great harness assembly. I have been looking at the following carseats:

-Graco My Ride 65
-Britax Roundabout 55
-Britax marathon 70
and - britax advocate

I just dont realize any differences in the Britax ones. I mean are any of the britax models better? The britax roundabout 55 goes up to 40lbs rear facing and 55lbs forward facing.
The britax marathon 70 goes to 40lbs rear and up to 70lbs foward facing(which I dont think will matter much I think my son will be in a booster by then or I may have bought a graco nautilus by then anyways.
The britax advocate only goes up to 35lbs rearfacing and 65lbs forward. THe graco my ride 65 I have heard bad review on and not sure about it.

so if I want a britax that goes up to 40lbs rear facing then I think the roundabout is the best for my money. I mean its small enough to fit in my car and fits my needs. why would i spend an extra 100 dollars on the advocate or the marathon 70 just to get more forward facing? not worth it to me. what is the difference though safety wise on the different britax?

djanowski775

Asked by djanowski775 at 11:19 AM on Feb. 6, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Go with a Britax, whatever model you choose! We have always used Roundabout, personally. We bought Britax Frontiers when our daughters moved into boosters.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 11:21 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Ok, this isn't on your list but I have the Graco Nautilus 3-in-1. It is only a FF seat but it will keep them in a 5 pt harness up to 65 lbs and then will turn into a high back or backless booster up to 100 lbs. It got great saftey ratings on consumer reports.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:22 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Hi jademom I did mention it after my son goes to foward facing I said I would probably get the nautilus since its a 3 in 1 but in the meantime I want a good RF carseat.
    djanowski775

Comment by djanowski775 (original poster) at 11:27 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• My 2 1/2 year old is RF in a MyRide (and a Radian) and the MyRide is really nice. My son is 39 inches and 35 lbs and still has several inches above his head to RF... he will make it to at least 3 years in this seat. We also have a Radian which RF to 45 lbs and FF to 80. I really like this seat too.
    I am a member of the car seat group on cafemom and the RAGE seat for RF right now is the Complete Air... which I think is the seat you said you own. I would for sure call the company about the straps coming loose... it's a really nice seat but it seems there is something wrong with yours! If you aren't a member of the carseat safety group I would join, maybe they could help you trouble shoot what is going on with the seat you have now.

FYI- the mighty tight is a big safety don't... if you are still using it I would get rid of it asap! It can over tighten the seat and actually SHRED the belt
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:07 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I have never had a problem with the mighty tite before. I feel it keeps the carseat the safest. My belts in my car in the backseat dont lock(its an older car) so I have to have something. I feel only using those metal clips are a pain and dont tighten that good at all.
    djanowski775

Comment by djanowski775 (original poster) at 1:13 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I ended up going with the graco my ride. I got it for $61 plus tax. (I had a gift card and got the trade in coupon at babies r us). I really like it so far. Yeah its a little taller than most but hey I think that will make it last longer because your child cant be anymore than an inch below the top of the carseat. I got the brown spiral one at babies r us versus the chadwick one because the chadwick one is a light grey and I feel it would be dirtier more often, or you would end up seeing the dirt more. I put the seat in the middle of my 94 mercury topaz lol and it seems to fit just fine. a person can sit on either side of it, kinda smashed but not too bad. I feel my son would be very safe in it. For the money I like it so far. I had read reviews that the harness was hard to adjust rear facing-have not had that problem at all. tightens really tight, maybe they need to read the instructions because the hooks in back r levels
    djanowski775

Comment by djanowski775 (original poster) at 11:35 AM on Feb. 8, 2011