Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can you do your own taxes without buying software, like TurboTax?

Sorry for all the tax questions like this, but DH and I have always gone to H&R Block. This year he wants to do our own to save some money, so I'm trying to find out what I can.


Asked by Mrs.BAT at 11:21 AM on Feb. 6, 2011 in Money & Work

Level 38 (105,028 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (11)
  • We filed ours on Turbotax.. but we did the "free" online service. I was in the same mindset - lets save money - so I got on there. It was $30 to file my federal taxes (we don't have state taxes in Wa).

    Good luck!

    Answer by FatGirl239 at 11:22 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

    You only have to pay a small fee to file state taxes. While your using it, it will ask you to upgrade- just click no thanks and stick with the free version.

    Answer by skittles1108 at 11:22 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

  • you can use taxact online. gl

    Answer by mommy_jules at 11:24 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

  • I use

    Answer by serioussifL at 11:28 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

  • Sure, you pick up the packets and do it the old fashioned way. It's not as hard as many people think.

    Answer by scout_mom at 11:29 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

  • If you go to there are free fillable forms but believe me when I tell you go to turbo tax. there is a way to get them free through them but it's easier to have the help and pay the 30. I tried turbo tax and saved it without paying and then went to free fillable forms and turbo tax got me 2,000 extra dollars and i couldnt figure out how until after i'd already paid and finished but it was worth the 30 to get that much more back.

    Answer by huntin_mama at 11:30 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

  • If you have a really straightforward return, you can just use the paper version. Once you get into the longer forms (itemizing deductions) I would use software, it's worth the $30 to get all the deductions you can.

    Answer by Scuba at 11:40 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

  • I use TaxAct online. It was $17.95 to file for state and federal for me.

    Answer by JeremysMom at 11:45 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

  • I used H and R block online. It was free to file our federal and $30 to file our state and they took that out of our refund. It was easy. We also usually go to H & R block to do our taxes.

    Answer by ashisamom at 12:25 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

  • I just filed my taxes online with Turbo Tax. I paid $29.95 plus tax. We were paying a tax person $70 to do it. Not anymore! Turbo Tax was so easy.

    Answer by Snewo at 1:51 PM on Feb. 6, 2011