does your dog pull?

does your dog pull when you walk him on a leash? Iam desparate and need some advice so I'm not pulled down on the ground and dragged across the state highway. my dogs need exercise. They both are very strong. I have a hard time walking them and it upsets me. I would like it to be a hobby of ours. i have no room for a tredmill.

diamondsarecool

Asked by diamondsarecool at 11:26 AM on Feb. 6, 2011 in Pets

• Take some dog training classes with your dogs. You will be amazed at the difference it makes. Our girl scout troop worked with a trainer and trained shelter dogs and by the end of the course we had all of those dogs walking on a leash without pulling. It only takes a few weeks and it's well worth it.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:28 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• didn't want to have to spend money. lol
    diamondsarecool

Comment by diamondsarecool (original poster) at 11:39 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Contact your local 4H group - they do the trainings for free here.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:53 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I have 3 huge dogs and we have found that training collars work really well. They make it uncomfortable for the dogs to pull but they don't hurt the dog. We got our training collars at Petsmart and the employees there are really helpful with any questions and they have great suggestions for training.
    Dragonfly_95

Answer by Dragonfly_95 at 1:29 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I have three dogs that I walk together. I use the gentle leader head halter(hate the harness) on all of them. It does take them a little time to get used to it so I would not expect them to go on a long walk with it when you first use it. But if you are consistant they typically get used to it in a week depending on the dog. Some dogs fight it more then others and they tend to be the ones that are domanant. But the gentle leader(not HALTI) sits on two pressure points one that tells them to be calm and the other tells them who the boss is. It is a great tool to use to help teach them to walk nicely on the leash. I do not recommend using this tool with those retractable leashes.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 2:11 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• My dogs pull too. So annoying!
    shanapiv

Answer by shanapiv at 5:32 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• We did the training collars too. We only used them when we walked the girls and they came off as soon as we got home.
    BansheeQueen

Answer by BansheeQueen at 5:33 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Use the correction collar, (a.k.a. choke chain even though it doesn't choke them). Place it high up on their neck, like right behind their ears. That's the most sensitive part of the neck so it becomes uncomfortable to pull where as the base of the neck was meant for pulling. Another method is a harness that goes on their head. Not a muzzle but close to it. The leash attaches under the chin so if they pull it turns their head so they tend to stop pulling.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 8:44 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I used the training collar for my pit after he pulled me across a busy road one time--- 7 years later I still have to put it on him once in a while just to retrain him but I flip it the other way so the prong things don't even touching him--- it's just the fact he knows it's on and he doesn't pull. ( he doesn't get walked on the leash alot though we live out in the country and he can wonder around our property)
    snowangel1979

Answer by snowangel1979 at 10:08 PM on Feb. 6, 2011