my DS has a bad diaper rash....

so we have been having an issue with a diaper rash on my DS's bottom since mid december.... when he went in for his 1 yr appointment, his dr gave us some yeast cream bc he had a couple spots with yeast.... we used it and after a few days, it went away... then a few days later, it came back! we have been going back and forth like this since the middle of december! then last night when DH was changing his diaper before bed, one of the spots on his bum started to bleed... we called the 24 hour nurse line at our dr's office and they gave us a whole list of things to do, and half of them i couldnt wright down bc the nurse was talking so fast... she also said that since my dr's office isnt open today that i should take him to the hospital and have him seen there.... she said it HAD to be within 24 hours of the call.... we dont have health insurance and cant afford the payment that would be required at the hospital.... what do you think i should do? wait until the dr's office opens on monday morning and get him in asap, or take him to the hospital?

pergowithfirst

Asked by pergowithfirst at 11:35 AM on Feb. 6, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• when my daughter used to get bad rashes my mother in law would mix baking soda and a little bit of water into a past and it always worked within a few days her rash was gone, 'i dont think your baby needs to fo to the hospitol for a diaper rash they wont do much.
    Mrs.Prine

Answer by Mrs.Prine at 11:55 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Ill tell you, my son had bad diaper rash too, and its not like we let him sit in his BM or anything, but it got to the point of bleeding. My mom told me to put him in a luke warm bath for alittle bit every day, then blow dry his butt (on cool of course!!) let him run around naked too for about 5 minutes or so, i know..messes...but it works like a charm everytime with my son and he hasnt had a problem since. another thing that works like a charm is Balmex...if we were traveling or couldnt get the bath action in motion we used that and the rash usually left that night if we put it on in the morning with every diaper change. Good Luck!
    Bobbysgurl

Answer by Bobbysgurl at 1:48 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I am a firm believer in air. With a real bad rash. My sons would go with no diapers.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 1:51 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• u could go and buy capsuals (powder inside) of acidophilus break it open and pour it directly on his lil parts n bum. U can also make a paste if u cant find powder ones by crushing whiole ones, this works like magic. Also let him be nakied when ever possible the moisture allows the yeast to grow rapidly .. Gl
    Cherriemama831

Answer by Cherriemama831 at 1:54 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Hi there~

We had a HUGE issue with diaper rash when we had to change DD2 over to Nutramigen. It was really bad and even Rx meds didn't help. I finally tried another mom's suggestion for mixing Maalox with Vaseline. OMG!!! Mix 1/4 C with the whole tub of Vaseline and voila! Absolute magic!!! It is the only thing we use now and we use it with every diaper change!!!
    WeRPhamily

Answer by WeRPhamily at 2:39 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• thanks for all the advice ladies! i will put it into motion!
    pergowithfirst

Comment by pergowithfirst (original poster) at 3:37 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• mine gets bad diaper rashes when she drinks fruit juice. an oatmeal bath, air drying and lots of boudreaux's butt paste works great.
    RyleesMama09

Answer by RyleesMama09 at 1:51 AM on Feb. 7, 2011