The Million $$$ Question

How can we keep weapons out of the hands of the crazies, yet protect Constitutional rights?

Sisteract

Asked by Sisteract at 12:07 PM on Feb. 6, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Improve our mental health system and quit blaming its failures on gun laws instead of mental health laws.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:07 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Considering the massive amount of illegal unregistered guns that can be bought on the streets, it would be nearly impossible.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 12:17 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• some of these tragedies would not have been so bad if they hadn't been able to use so much ammo at one time

Actually less ammo, but more guns is easier than a gun with a thirty round clip to conceal,
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 1:11 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• The solution is clearly to build everyone large clear plastic balls in which to live and work, much like you'd allow a pet rodent to run around the house in.

lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:20 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• The bulk of killers are psychopaths. There are a lot of psychopaths in the world, fortunately not all are killers. What do you do? Lock someone up for life because they MIGHT kill someone?
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 1:52 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• If they don't have guns, they use knives... If they don't have knives, they goto the grocery and by the supplies to make bombs. It isn't the guns, it's the people.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:38 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I'm curious, Carpy. . . on what do you base that statement? Is there a study that shows that most killers are psychopaths?

There are lot's of studies, research the behavioral science units (FBI) studies. I have not searched on Google much for these, I am citing my textbooks from college. I majored in Criminal Justice and violent crime and crimes against children were my favorite areas of study. I am probably about the only person you know who has the book Sexual Homicide, Patterns and Motives, on my book shelf. If you are interested read the books by John Douglas and Robert Ressler. They are very interesting. Also I think everyone should read the book The Gift of Fear" by Gavin de Becker.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 2:46 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Have better mental health treatments for EVERYONE, have stiff fines for gun sellers who do NOT follow laws regarding background checks. It's not guns that kill people but people killing people.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:23 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• You can't. There are illegal ways to obtain weapons, just as there are drugs. IMO, stiffer penalties for those caught with an illegal weapon or caught with one in the act of a crime would help. We have the constitutional right to keep and bear arms, and that right needs to be protected; punishing those using weapons illegally severely is the only way to reduce gun crime.

Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 12:24 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• So, what it sounds like is that if you commit a crime with a weapon you are crazy. Ok, I think the act is insane, but I don't think the people are crazy. They may be immoral, anti-social, or 'in the heat of the moment', but crazy - no. If they were crazy, every criminal would be able to claim insanity and get off. Now, people may argue that certain crimes have to have a crazy person to commit them, but I think trying to keep weapons out of the hands of 'crazies' is not the way to look at this. How do we get our society to return to a sense of morality and personal responsibility with a sense of right and wrong and understanding that a person doesn't have the right to what another has and human life has a high value? The crimes will take care of themselves at that point.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 2:38 PM on Feb. 6, 2011