What do you do when (or if) your daycare is closed for the week?

It sucks!I'm a single mom & can't really afford to take more time off or pay a sitter. Just my luck, all my nieces are working this summer. I have 2 very good friends who are not working right now. One has health problems, so understandable why she can't help right now. The other (my best friends of 30 yrs) doesn't drive, is home all day alone & her kids are all (almost) grown & working & yet she can't help me out either. She wants to paint the house instead. I know that is important too, but it really could wait. I rarely every ask for help sitting. Before you ask....she adores my dd & vice versa. I'm just at a loss. It doesn't pay to take her to a daycare as a drop in since I don't make enough to cover the cost.

I'm not mad at her or anything, I just know that if the shoes were reversed I would not even hesitate helping her. I wouldn't even ask her for gas money. But that's just me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:56 PM on Jul. 7, 2008 in General Parenting

• Do you have a relative that wouldn't mind coming to stay with you for the week? Even a teenager? Ask some of the other parents of children in the daycare. Maybe they could provide and affordable alternative. You could pay them what you would pay the daycare. Some are probably taking the week off, anyway, and would welcome the extra income!
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 3:18 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• I called on grandparents, to come or kids go to their homes. If not do you have good neighbors? You can always ask your co-workers.
    bunco

Answer by bunco at 1:12 AM on Jul. 8, 2008

• Grandparents aren't around, co-workers don't have kids & my neighbor that I do know just had a baby 1wk ago. I've even asked my preggo niece who lives an hr away to come up...but she's preggo... lol Again... just my luck :-) Ever feel like that wooowee's me? Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the extra time with my dd, just hope my work understands as much as they say they do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:18 AM on Jul. 8, 2008

• Thanks drowninginboys. I tried all the above, with no luck. I finally found one of my nieces who can watch her for 2 days.
    Anonymous