How do/did you get your 5 month old to sleep when they wouldnt sleep?

My 5 month old daughter,Karrianna, wakes up alot between 2-4 am in the morning almost everyday and she wont go back to sleep. I wanted to know what you girls did when something like this happened. Any advice?

karriannasmommy

Asked by karriannasmommy at 1:16 PM on Feb. 6, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If she is crying from hunger feed her and keep the lights off and soothe her back to sleep. If she is awake but not crying I would leave her and see if she goes back to sleep.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 2:06 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Assess her needs first (rule out feeding, changing, etc) and then do what's best for her personality and for your sanity and family situation. My daughter (when about 7 months old) was stubborn and we were falling apart from getting no sleep so we ended up doing cold-turkey cry it out (if we went in, it made it FAR worse) It took 3 days- first night, she cried 45 minutes. Second night, she cried 15 minutes, Third night, she whimpered for a few seconds and then put herself fast to sleep. We haven't had issues since then and she's 2 and a half. It was the hardest thing I ever had to do but it gave her the MOST important gift- being able to put herself to sleep and soothe herself if she woke up. That's the key. So I recommend, checking to make sure she's okay and then letting her fall asleep on her own. Don't rock or nurse her to sleep or you train her into needing that. Decide what's right for YOU and stick to it!
    DanielleB10

Answer by DanielleB10 at 4:20 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Babies sleep on their schedule, not yours.

The beauty of co-sleeping is your can nurse your baby and still get some sleep

Answer by rkoloms at 4:44 PM on Feb. 6, 2011