How can I tell them? Please help me.

Please PLEASE give me your opinion on this. We live in another country with my family, my husband and our LO. Whenever I am on Skype, I talk to my parents mostly cause they miss the LO, I've never gotten along with them and I am not close to them. When something happens, when the l.o. cries or whines a bit or even complains for one second, or 1 minute or more, they start the lecture: Give her more toys, she can't just stand there. Do this. Do that. What kind of a mother are you, letting her cry. I try to ignore them and keep on with what I know because I KNOW my daughter and it's none of the things they say. If she continues on with a bit more of crying, they start yelling at me. Do this, do that, don't do this, how can you let her cry, blah blah. In the end, I can't deal with their screaming AND my l.o. and I just hang up on them on Skype. Now, the thing is, if they would be calm like I am and not panic when l.o. cries, I would handle it and in 1-5 mins, everything would be fine. I am sick and tired of them doing this (and crying is not the only thing they are doing it with, they seem to have an opinion about everything I do when it comes to my child) and I want to tell them that if they don't quit this cr@p, I don't want to talk to them on Skype anymore, as they are bringing me down and making me depressed. How should I tell them? Part of me feels guilty cause they miss the l.o. so much but do I really deserve this? I can't stand their controlling attitude any longer. What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:19 PM on Feb. 6, 2011 in Relationships

• I would do just what you said. Tell them that while you like them having contact with your baby, if they do not keep quiet about how you are raising her, then you will not be calling them again.
    You are her mother and YOU know her best. They need to stay out of it.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:22 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I think you need to remind them that YOU are the mom, and YOU know your child and if they would just shut up and back off everything will be ok! I would tell them that yelling their 'advice' and getting mad at you is not helping the situation, in fact it makes it worse and it gets you upset as well and makes you want to NOT talk to them on skype anymore. Maybe if they hear how their 'bossiness' is affecting you they might make an effort to change. If they don't change then what I would do is stop the skype for a while and let them see you mean business. Then if you think they have changed (or are at least making an effort to) then start skype back up again.
    Good luck!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 1:27 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Send them pictures and let that be it. I know when I talk to my parents on skype my kids get crazy too lol I would just say, "oh, she's getting upset, i've got to go!"....lol
    Anonymous

• Aww
    whiskey80

Answer by whiskey80 at 2:09 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Talk to them when she is napping or asleep at night.
    NaiveDream

Answer by NaiveDream at 2:37 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• You need to remind them that they had their chance at being parents and if they are so certain they did a great job then they need to trust that YOU, the child they raised, are perfectly capable of parenting your own!
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 2:50 PM on Feb. 6, 2011