Drop cribs. Is it about time?

It is now illegal to sell drop sided cribs in the United States - where one side of the crib can drop down. They are also to be taken out of churches, day cares, and re sell shops. In private homes that have them of course they can remain in use. Do you think this should have occurred a long time ago or do you think this is a silly safe guard?

What I find interesting is how long it took. In the mid seventies I had a near fatal injury on my skull due to the railing crashing and crushing my skull. It doesn't surprise me to hear about deaths and other injuries. Thoughts?

frogdawg

Asked by frogdawg at 1:19 PM on Feb. 6, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I've never even owned a drop-side crib - my oldest is 13. They are so obviously dangerous to me. I'm glad they have finally banned them, many children have been seriously hurt or killed for no reason. The people I know with the drop side never even used that feature - when the babies were young they kept the side low, then kept the side high when the kids got older.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 1:21 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• It's the stupidest ban I have ever heard! I can not stand those stationary sided ones. You either can't reach to lay the baby down or the side is installed to low and larger babies/kids can fall out. This whole "kids get hurt so we have to ban it" idea isn't doing anything for child saftey or aiding parents... All it's doing is creating more income for all these companies because parents who have been using drop side cribs now feel they have to go out and get new ones. We've always used drop side cribs for our kids, and will continue to. If we're going to remove every piece of furniture that COULD hurt someone we'd have to get rid of everything we own. Seriously, I'm so tired of government bans simply because people are to lazy to properly care for their stuff and keep an eye on their kids!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:40 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• This is different from the lead paint and the ephedra. Drop side cribs can be safe when they are maintained regularly and checked for safety before every use. My sister and I both used drop side cribs and we did the necessary safety checks.
    This is similar to the medicine issue with infants. There are parents that do not do things the correct way, then they sue, ruining it for us the are careful with things.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 1:47 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• could you say the same thing about the ones in the hospitals? the infant beds drop on both sides.
    Anonymous

• And yet there are those of us that used them for YEARS with no incidents what so ever. I used the same crib that my MIL used for her youngest DD. And her middle DD and youngest DD both used that same crib for their children. Like other's have said, with maintenance the cribs can remain safe. And for those of us that are short, it is safer to have a side that goes down than to climb a step stool to place and remove our children from a crib once it is lowered to the bottom level.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:03 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I have a drop side, and it's been great. I used it with DD, and now my DS is in it. I don't have an opinion on the ban one way or another to be honest.
    Anonymous

• I used a drop-side crib with both of my boys and they are still alive. What's next? Banning driving with an infant because babies can still get hurt in an accident, even in a carseat? ANYTHING can be unsafe if it isn't used properly. If people would use just a little common sense, most of these "recalls" wouldn't even be necessary.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 4:21 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• So, how exactly am I to reach my baby laying in the crib? Or lay my sleeping baby in the crib? I am a little over 5ft tall.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 2:44 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I suppose we also need to ban bicycles as well because children can fall off of them and get hurt. Why stop there? Why don't we just ban EVERYTHING and keep our kids attached to us by their umbilical cord until they move out?
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 4:24 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• This ban reminds me of the ban on walkers. Walkers used to made with wheels on them so the child placed in it could hang onto it and walk while in it. They were great for the lttle ones just beginning to want to walk. Well they banned them and the ones on the market these days have lots of toy things attached to them but no wheels. Why? because a number of children were killed or severely injured when they fell down stairs while in the walker.But...was it the fault of the walker that the child got near an open stair-well and so tumbled down it or was it the fault of the parents who did not make sure the stair-well was closed off by use of a gate or locked door? Too often parents do not keep an eye on their little ones or use basic common sense precautions, then when something horrrific happens they blame the product.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 5:06 PM on Feb. 6, 2011