How do you correct your child when they say NO!?

My son will be 3 in May. His newest thing is telling me NO. I've tried time outs, talking to him (on his level) spanking, trying not to use the word my self and ignoring it. I want my son to be respectful, and this is driving me crazy!! Sometimes when he tells me NO, he still does what I ask he just seems to want to "get the last word." What are your suggestions?

Julians_Momma

Asked by Julians_Momma at 2:19 PM on Feb. 6, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Have you tried "giving him the right words to say" instead. Since he just likes to say the word, but still does what you ask this could be a good step. Try saying "No isn't a good choice right now. You can say, 'Yes, Mommy' or 'I'd be happy too'" and offer him those choices with a big happy smile on your face! When he chooses a more appropriate word or phrase, shower the praise! Clap and jump and tell him you're so happy he made a good choice!
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 2:25 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• In a firm voice I would tell them "don't tell me no!".  I don't know why it worked but it did.  On a few occasions I've spanked them for saying no to me because of the WAY it was said.  Lots of attitude.  When I was little I remember going through the stage of telling my parents NO.  My mom started telling me no for everything.  I soon got the message, lol.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 2:23 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Well, he is 3, he isn't that old, yet you have tried MANY different things. You need to stick with ONE form until it works. All your switching won't help him. NO technique works immediately. Pick one and be consistent. It won't work immediately, but, it WILL work soon.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:23 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• its a phase, and a new word lol. And the fact that he still does what you ask even though he says no, sounds more just like wanting to use the word cuz it sounds "cool" and "grown up". I would honestly see how he does it first. If he says no because he just wants to or if he is saying no to actually rebel. If he is saying no just to say it and not meaning to be disrespectful id let it go for now, if he is meaning to rebel then just try to keep getting through to him. My son says yes all the time..lol im waiting for no....
    Bobbysgurl

Answer by Bobbysgurl at 2:25 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• You need to not say no. Find alternatives. When he says no, ignore it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:20 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I've done that, it has not helped.
    Julians_Momma

Comment by Julians_Momma (original poster) at 2:21 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Please tell me when you find out!
    BeachMom81

Answer by BeachMom81 at 2:22 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• My daughter says no to me all the time, even when she means yes. Sometimes I think she's confused. I tell her "don't you say No to mommy" in a stern voice but that's something I punish for unless she is clearly be defiant. I think it depends on your child though so you have to use your own discretion.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 2:23 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• keep saying yes &make him do what you're asking.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 2:23 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I tell the kids I work with that NO is not an option. It takes a while but they get it. Depends on how it is used to. Like when asked if they want something, it's no thank you. Can I have the toy you are playing with, "when I am done" etc. Give them the language you want them to use. You are their role model!
    whitefamily

Answer by whitefamily at 2:27 PM on Feb. 6, 2011