Please help! Concussion or naptime??

My toddler decided to jump off his bed and in doing so he biffed it and fell onto the wood floor on his belly, hitting the side of his face/head. His cheek was pretty red, I didn't notice any bruising taking place. I held him a bit while he was crying and then he asked me for a blanket. His blankets are on his bed so I set him down with his blankets and he laid down and fell asleep within 30 seconds. Should I be completely worried?? It is his naptime and he was up early this morning, so I don't know if he was tired and ready for nap or if hitting his head has done something. What should I do? I keep checking on him and he's fine. His cheek is no longer red and his breathing isnt labored or anything. Would there be any warning signs to look for after he wakes up? If you have any thoughts about what I should do, just let me know please.

Sharell8710

Asked by Sharell8710 at 2:43 PM on Feb. 6, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would put a call into the doctor's office and get their advice too. Someone should be on call all weekend.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 2:44 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Keep checking on him! It happens to my dd a lot when she hurts herself. She becomes tired. Somettimes she'll sleep and if not she'll have an off-day. If I find my child to be asleep worringly deep I give her a little poke, tickle her nose or do something else annoying to get a reaction (movement, funny face, a sigh). Calms me down.
    BeachMom81

Answer by BeachMom81 at 2:47 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• My mom always told me to not let my son go to sleep right away after a bad fall or bump. I would definitely keep an eye on her and definitely call the doctor.
    CassiRae3

Answer by CassiRae3 at 2:49 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Look at his pupils, if they are the same size when he wakes up, that's a good sign, make sure he isn't acting overly fussy, or out of the ordinary. Make sure his balances good when he wakes up too. If Your still concerned once he wakes up, I'd head to the ER, better safe than sorry.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 2:50 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Ok. Thank you.
    Sharell8710

Comment by Sharell8710 (original poster) at 2:52 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• It is completely normal for him to fall asleep because it's naptime/ he was up early and then cried when he got hurt. The signs to look for when he wakes up are: eyes don't like "normal", by that I mean, the black parts (pupils) are unequal in size, he vomits, or his walking is off-balance. For any of those, go to the e.r. When my son was 3 he fell down an entire flight of stairs, I waited until after his nap, then he complained that his neck hurt. We went to the e.r. (it was Christmas day!) and he was fine. No concussion or anything. Good luck and hugs to you both!
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 2:53 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Keep in eye on him and if in doubt call your doctor. see when wakes up says head hurts, put up fingers and see if can tell how many you have up, if confused then yes take to er. You know your kid and if anything is not just right with him you will know and then take the next step
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 2:55 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• It sounds like he's fine but if you do still have concerns try calling you pediatrician and seeing what they say.
    Dragonfly_95

Answer by Dragonfly_95 at 2:55 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Crying always wears me out. Plus if it is naptime already, the kid is tired. I agree with making sure his pupils are the same and don't let him sleep longer than an hour.

I have three boys and they are always jumping of something and injuring themselves. I always freak out, but that is what my doc said to do. Also you would know if it was a serious injury, unless there is loss of conciseness at the time o the injury or uncontrollable crying, he should be fine.

They are built tougher than they look. HUGS!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:56 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I wouldn't let him take a nap in just in case............... call the doctor and see what he or she has to say
    and anyways if he misss a nap its not going to kill him but a bad head injury will
    tearb

Answer by tearb at 2:58 PM on Feb. 6, 2011