What are your views on "Marital Discipline." And what is your religious affiliation?

For those that don't know what I'm talking about...

http://christiandomesticdiscipline.com/maritaldiscipline.html

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 3:25 PM on Feb. 6, 2011 in Religious Debate

• That makes me want to vomit. I am an atheist, and an adult. I do not need anyone "disciplining" me.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:27 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Not something I would be interested in or put up with. If I had to pick a religious affiliation it would be Buddhist. I'm more into a spiritual lifestyle than I am religion.

SweetSprinkles

Answer by SweetSprinkles at 3:28 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• "the wife of a visiting evangelist several years ago admonishing some of the more timid husbands in a congregation to take their belts off and thrash their gossiping wives"

Are you kidding me? Let me tell you how quickly my husband would have a meeting with a big skillet upside his head if he EVER even thought about hitting me with a belt! or frankly anything else in order to punish me...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 3:32 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Everyone is different! If discipline works in a consentual relationship, who am I to tell a couple not to engage in it.
    Alexias30

Answer by Alexias30 at 3:32 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I am Christian, but I would not stand for that. I think that is crazy. I am an adult and my husband cannot "discipline"me.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 3:32 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I think any relationship where a spouse gives permission to his/her partner in life to discipline them is a very unhealthy one.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 3:35 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• marital disapline what are we 5 year olds? ill be damned if my huband spanks me and im not about to spank my husband. if either of us doesnt know how to be a responsible person in our lives and marriage then we shouldnt be married. my husband is not my father and i am not my husbands mother. and we are luthern.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 3:36 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Do the wives get to spank their husbands when they've been bad? When he's being an ass does he get a spanking? When he makes a bad choice for the family does he get spanked? When he leaves his dirty underwear and socks on the floor does he get spanked. How about dirty dishes, when he just leaves them in the sink does he get spanked.  Or is this a one way thing only?  If so, sounds more like men getting off on this mess and using "religion" as their cover for their kicks.

SweetSprinkles

Answer by SweetSprinkles at 3:39 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• It's a sub-culture of a sub-culture that most people don't understand or even realize exists half the time. Not my thing, but if it's consentual (and it usually is), not my place to judge it. The only difference between "marital discipline" and your average D/s relationship is one uses bible verses to alleviate any guilt they have about it. I f they weren't so devout, they'd just be part of the culture instead.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:40 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I'm a Latter Day Saint (NOT FUNDAMENTALIST...just so you know).....and we don't condone that sort of thing. How I translate that scripture is the Husband is the patriarch over the family.

He is there to be respected and followed as long as they are leading you down a good path. This doesn't mean follow blindly...and there is no such thing as discipline between a man and wife like "spanking". I could understand words of concern and truth bringing someone back to where they should be....but mental, emotional, physical or any other forms of abuse are not condoned in our religious beliefs.

LDS women are a lot stronger than people seem to think. ;)

Anonymous