Medical Transcription?

Has anyone done medical transcription at home? If so how did you get into it? If you don't mind answering, is the pay equal or better to an out of home job? Did you do any of the training programs I see advertised in magazines? If so, can you recommend one?

SalemWitchChild

Asked by SalemWitchChild at 3:27 PM on Feb. 6, 2011 in Money & Work

• I wouldn't get into that. It's a flooded market at this point. It's been "the" work at home job for close to a decade now. I would look into another area if I were looking for something I could do at home.

SweetSprinkles

Answer by SweetSprinkles at 3:47 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• As more medical offices move toward electronic records management (or EMR), transcriptionists and billers/coders will go the way of key punch operators

Answer by rkoloms at 4:32 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I just finished a course for that and am waiting on the results of my final. The facts are most people who talk about transcription, coding and billing have no idea about any of those things. Electronic records are only going so far because it's nowhere near cost effective. That is why MT's are still in demand. It has not been "the" work at home job for a decade and the market is most certainly not flooded. My advice would be to contact the community college where you live if you have one. They will point you in the right direction and give you the truth.
    Anonymous